free website stats program Dyna Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna Problems

Dyna Man

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I wanted to say that it is nice to have someplace to go when you need help with a bike problem or question. I hope someone can help. I have a 1992 Dyna Glide Custom and it runs great until I reach 52 or 53 miles per hour. At that speed it will sound as if it is starved for gas or air and then will cut off. After a couple of minutes I can restart it just fine. Please Help!!!

Thanks,
Dyna Man

Is it associated with a specific RPM like the same RPM in each gear?

Sounds like you may need to clean out the screen in the tank by removing the petcock after draining the tank and also flush or remove and flush the tank itself if the procedure below doesn't cure it.

But first I would do this and try draining the float bowl.

To drain the float bowl without disassembling anything, this is how to go about it.

If you look at the bottom of the float bowl viewed from the horn side of the bike between the cylinders, there is a small brass screw there. Take a long thin screwdriver and open it up a turn or two. This will purge the float bowl right below the high speed jet at the lowest point in the carb. The fuel will come out a drain tube in front of the rear wheel so you may want to do this outside.
Make sure you have the petcock opened when you do this so the rush of fuel from the tank will help clean the bowl out.
Run a few ounces out and repeat this again then try the bike again at speeds to see if it solved the problem. I would open and seat the screw lightly a few times when you are done to make sure it is flushed and no debris is in the seat of the drain screw.

Here's a pic of what you are looking for. It will give you an idea seen at the bottom most area of this pic.

It's wouldn't be a bad thing to do at each oil change to keep the carb clean.

Also when you have some time, look at the bottom of this post and visit the self help forum. This is posted in there too.

CVFloatbowlRR.png

Back