Dyna Neck Bearings

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by fwcole, May 20, 2010.

1. fwcole

fwcole Active Member

Anyone ever tried drilling and tapping a grease zerk in a dyna neck?
    I need to replace my neck bearings and was thinking of doing this while I had it apart.

2. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

I believe I read on this sight that the Dyna neck is open to the frame tubes.You would be filling the entire frame with grease.

3. fwcole

fwcole Active Member

I guess thats why its not already done! bummer

4. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Just close it off. Can't be that involved to do it.

When you replace your neck bearings, if you can, take some pictures of the inside neck and post them. If you have the know-how to replace the bearings, you have the know-how to seal off the frame.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  5. rick1062

rick1062 Active Member

That's for sure!!!!!

6. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Rick, We need to find a way to give out trophies to innovated minds. I can't believe so many people just accept the way it is because it's the way it was.:p

7. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I wish I'd had that mindset the last time I packed my Dyna's neck bearings. I didn't even look to see exactly where it's open.
    It could probably be done with a strip of tin and epoxy to hold it. Or that expanding foam (if it stands up to petrochem).

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Breeze, I'm on a mission now. My bike only has 7K miles on it but I was thinking of changing the fork oil with the next couple of months. And once the legs are pulled, I would only be an hour away from having the lower triple tree out. From there I would only be an hour away from having a tapped hole and zerk fitting in the neck and only an hour away from having the frame sealed off....and only an hour...and

See how my crazy mind works?:p:p

9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

And 2 years later the bike is ready and back on the road with so many modifications it looks nothing like what you started with
    Ive been there

Brian

10. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Yea, I got that feeling this morning when I was reading this thread. If summer was not coming on, I'd be considering it. Now I'll wait and see how it works out for you. :57: