free website stats program Dyna HD manual belt adjustment | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna HD manual belt adjustment

I have never agreed with HD tightening procedure on my Dyna belt. I run mine much more relaxed than spec and so far so good. Did a bunch of research and the claim by Gates is the teeth on the belt will climb under power and wear the leading edge of the tooth off on the belt. I really don't see that happening but who knows, time will tell. So far everything seems better with it a bit more loose. (noise, tracking etc)

Best to error on the loose side than too tight, too tight will whine also and create more heat and wear bearings faster, dont believe this try it with a timing belt same principle applies here except with auto tensioners that IMO are too tight also JMO

Oh and as to the rider sitting on the bike. It would depend on the rotated position of the swing arm. If it's still rotated down without the rider then when the rider sits on it and it comes up to a straight line with the front pulley level then it's gonna tighten the belt some.
On the other hand if without a rider the swing arm is already sitting at a straight line with the front pulley then when the rider sits on it, it would actually start to lessen the distance between the front and rear pulleys as the rotation upward.

Yes you are correct here, especially on a softail that has been lowered. Seems to me that some belts get looser with the more weight you put on. I was thinking the same thing, but i couldnt figure out how to word it. Good point RWB

Back