free website stats program dyna engine rattle | Harley Davidson Forums

dyna engine rattle

mickfiz

Hi there, am 54 yr old tattooist from uk. Habe been riding harleys for approx 27 yrs. Recently i bought a 2003 dyna lowrider with only 1065mls on clock. Because it hadbeen stood for a long while, i changed primary, trans, and engine oil. Pretty much since then, theres been a rattle comin from engine area. Cant really be more specific than that, coz i cant tell where exactly its at. Can anyone advise please.......cheers. tattoo phil.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. :ws

You may want to post your question in the appropriate area of the forum, you may get more responses. :s

First welcome to the forum. As for the rattle I would check all the fasteners on the tank and the motor mounts. If you don't have a manual it will be your best friend when working around the bike. Your rattle could also be one of the exhaust heat shields.

Welcome to the forum from So. Texas. I also agree with HDDON,the noise could be anything that is loose. The sound can travel and fool you.
tourbox

Welcome to the Forum, as already stated start checking the fasteners, pay attention to the exhaust studs they should be tightened to 10 ft lbs, you may have a slight lifter tick as well, what kind of oil and what weight is it?

Thanx guys, didnt mention that i recently fitted Vance and Hines pro pipe. Maybe it is just a heat shield or something similar.. im in spain at moment, so cant check till monday. I sure hope it is tho. Cant really see it being engine wear as its only got approx 1700 mls on clock. The worry i have is that there may be issues with it being stood for long periods. As ive mentioned, the bikes 10 yrs old with only 1700 mls.i Appreciate any advise offered.....tattoophil

Did it rattle before installing the pro pipe? New exhaust gaskets when the pipe was fitted? The tick may be an exhaust leak.

.......And welcome to the forum.

Was the proper amount of primary oil used in refilling????? Was inspection cover removed to check primary chain adjustment???????

Hi there, there was no rattle before pro pipe was fitted, but i am more inclined to think that it started after fluid changes. I think i put the correct amount in, but now am starting to doubt myself!! I didnt check the primary chain at all, would it make a rattle if it were too tooslack? Cheers.....tattoophil

Back