free website stats program Dyna "clunking" sounds from front end! | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna "clunking" sounds from front end!

fxdfshan

I just got my bike back from the dealer after taking it in for "clunking" sounds from the front end when hitting bumps. I originally thought based on some posts to this forum that it might be a loose head bolt. It was not. It was the mounts for the gas tank! Anyone who is experiencing this might want to have that checked out or do it yourself. I thought this might help someone. Thanks.

Should be on things to check list IMO, I have retightened mine 2 times now:s

My 1999 FXDWG had a clunking but was coming from triple tree main bolt to the frame. Had it apart several times over 5 years replaced bearings could not get it to go away.

The local HD mechanic told me add a extra washer P/N 45717-63 set the front end up as the book says been fine ever since. He had told me they had several bikes in the dealership with same problem.

I just developed this problem yesterday and checked the tank mount bolt. Sure enough it was the culprit. I tightened it up and no more clunk. Thanks for the info guys.:s

Back