Dyna "clunking" sounds from front end!

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by fxdfshan, Jan 2, 2011.

1. fxdfshan

fxdfshan New Member

I just got my bike back from the dealer after taking it in for "clunking" sounds from the front end when hitting bumps. I originally thought based on some posts to this forum that it might be a loose head bolt. It was not. It was the mounts for the gas tank! Anyone who is experiencing this might want to have that checked out or do it yourself. I thought this might help someone. Thanks.

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Thanks for the heads up.

3. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Should be on things to check list IMO, I have retightened mine 2 times now:s

5. jimmymac1972

jimmymac1972 Member

Good info. Been noticing a slight sound. Got to check that out. Thanks.

6. diver4life

diver4life Active Member

Had the same problem and it was the tank making the noise>

7. rjsogard

rjsogard Member

Yes just pull up from the Top I ck it at every service at 5k found it loose twice in 30k of riding.

8. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

I did not notice mine moving up and down but it would if I rocked it side to side.

9. northernrider

northernrider Member

My 1999 FXDWG had a clunking but was coming from triple tree main bolt to the frame. Had it apart several times over 5 years replaced bearings could not get it to go away.

The local HD mechanic told me add a extra washer P/N 45717-63 set the front end up as the book says been fine ever since. He had told me they had several bikes in the dealership with same problem.

10. wfc7

wfc7 New Member

I just developed this problem yesterday and checked the tank mount bolt. Sure enough it was the culprit. I tightened it up and no more clunk. Thanks for the info guys.:s