free website stats program Dyna Beads and Nitrogen | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna Beads and Nitrogen

Springer,
Their actually putting Argon in luxury car tires? If they are, then those types of rubbers that Argon does not mix well with are not in Car tires. My point was why risk it. We know Nitrogen is safe and does work. With argon you must know your tire make up. I have no idea what type/types of rubber that make up a bike tire. But it must be off the charts with all the different compounds bike tires have. I was using O-ring and laboratory tubing charts from the Tygon corporation for compatibility issues with Argon.

What are the benefits of using Argon or Nitrogen. What does being 'More Dense' do to help?
It sounds like you have being using Argon for a while. You have not had any reactions on the inside of tires, tire valves etc.? I have not looked up the coefficient of expansion of Argon vs Nitrogen. It must be equal or less if they are using it in luxury car tires. I will look it up.
Interesting Topic for sure.

Hoop!

I post and read here to learn. Argon is in my Jaguar tires. That is where I got the idea. Glad you brough this up. I did a search on google... found nothing that is why i ask for a link to read. People are amused when I gas up my wife's auto because there is a trailer hitch on a Jag. We pull the bike behind the jag on a trailer to the mountains so we will both up there.

I post and read here to learn.

Absolutely! Me Too.

I am very new to the HD world and most every I know is an application from autos, boats, work experience etc etc. There are times I will be dead wrong. That's all part of it.

I will look into this further & will let you know what I find.

Hoop!

I think you guys are loco in the cabeza with this nitrogen or argon thing.

IMO, (and I base it on almost 45 years in the aviation and heavy equipment industries), you are doing nothing but throwing money away.

We used different gases where the following situations or conditions were present
1.extreme changes of temperature
2.extreme/rapid changes in altitude (causing change of pressure)
3.Extremely heavy loads and shock loading situations
4.operation in or around explosion prone locations, materials, conditions.

Did you notice a pattern here.....EXTREME!!!........

There is no way on this green earth that you are going to be placing your car/truck or motorcycle into any of those situations.
And with the wear rate on tires, coupled with the average length of time MOST people keep a vehicle, you will never see any benefit from what you use in there.

For the general public....it's a gimmick, and nothing more.

I believe that the reasons for using nitrogen in tires is a valid one. Nitrogen is less reactive to temperature, so will not cause pressure to go up when heated or down when chilled. It is a physically larger atom and therefore cannot escape as easily through porous materials (such as rubber). Oxygen is by nature an oxidizer and when in contact with anything (except noble gasses) will cause degradation. Due to it's smaller atomic size is more volitile and can leak out more quickly.

It is really a hard call for me. There is a Ton of information that says there may be some truth to it. I was thinking if nothing else, the lack of having any moisture in the wheel would be great. I could see some benefit from that alone.

Sounds like a job for Adam & Jamie from MythBusters! Hey, if enough people wrote in, I know they would do the testing for us....

Hoop!

Back