free website stats program Dyna Bagger speed wobble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna Bagger speed wobble

Just a few thoughts
I have throw over bags on my softail custom if i am doing 60+ and put my legs down straight to adjust the pressure on my rear end the bike will become unstable and start to weave i am aware of it and know it will happen it is caused i think by the change of the flow of air around the whole bike
So perhaps it is worth taking the bags off to see if it still does it just because the bags suit your needs does not mean they will work with your bike

The dyna engine gearbox and swing arm are mounted as a unit that is isolated from the rest of the bike through the rubber mounts to ensure that the engine gearbox swing arm and rear wheel are in correct alignment there are a set of tests and an adjuster mounted between the cylinders it requires a magnetic inclinometer which is not expensive but the job is easier with 2 these you would put on the front and rear brake rotors and then adjust the central adjuster till both front and back wheels are at the same angle more detail can be found in the service manual

I would hope that you have already checked that both rear shocks are on the same preload setting

Brian

I'd be curious to know what the axle weights are. Sounds to me like too much weight on the rear axle.

Its probably only 60 extra pounds on the bike unloaded... I figure its half of what most passengers would weigh?!? Does it make a difference if it dead weight or live weight?

fin 676 Thanks for the advice. I hear what your saying about the air flow. It seems to get worse when its windy out... I also didn't know that the motor mount between cylinders was adjustable. great info

jack and tank- thanks for stabilizer links. I'll probably need to get one or both eventually, but I would really like to find the source of the problem first...

Everyone's advice is helpful, just hard to know where to start, and when to give up on it...MONEYPIT!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!

In the end, it was my rear tire tracking... Apparently, the two holes on the swing arm that you measure the axle spacing from mean absolutely NOTHING! After lots of adjusting to get the belt to track perfectly down the center of my pulley, there was a 3/8'' difference between center of axle a center of small hole ahead of the axle. Not sure if this means my swingarm is slightly off?!? or if Harley is just making sub-par equipment..... Either way, she's riding alot better. Sturgis here we come!! Thanks again for all the help fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the end, it was my rear tire tracking... Apparently, the two holes on the swing arm that you measure the axle spacing from mean absolutely NOTHING!

Not sure if I understand your reply but the small swing arm holes and the "center of axle holes" are not used to set belt tracking. Each side distance must equal each other regardless of belt tracking. Belt tension & belt tracking are different. Never make the side distances (from left to right) unequal in order to get belt tracking correct.

Is your rear axle hollow?

I am not an expert in any way. But I do a lot of reading from different sources. I'm thinking part of your problems may stem from the wind resistance of your bags, but, like I said, I'm not an expert.

I was not happy with how my bike had a loose feeling in turns and how I got an occasional wobble. I solved those problems with some stabilizers from Sta-bo. Products

Good luck, and be careful. High speed wobbles are not fun, especially in turns!

Back