free website stats program dying high in vegas | Harley Davidson Forums

dying high in vegas

jtfatboy

I just had my 98 fatboy up in las vegas for bike week & had a problem riding up into the mountains. Lost top end throttle around 8500' - 9000' elevation. Running 60mph, tried to go about 3/4 throttle & had nothing & the bike then died. Pulled over & had to choke it to start it back up, then it ran ok thru 4th gear but as soon as i tried to go to 5th gear same thing. Got back to hotel & changed plugs & cleaned air filter & bike ran ok riding in town but really didn't have any top end power? Checked with a couple local shops that said it was strictly altitude but i have had bike up 9500' feet outside tucson before with no problems, so I'm just not sure. Running low rpm's in 2nd or 3rd gear I think i hear a whistle (that no one else seems to hear) & wonder if i may have an intake leak or something that might cause what happened?

I think your probably onto something with the intake leak, that would cause it to run lean and high altitude wouldn't help the lean situation at all.

Running at high altitudes, it's common to have to change jetting in the carb, the air is thin and the mixture is off.

I realize that, but who really rides at a constant high altitude anyway? LOL usually just a trip up & then back down. The problem i have with the intake whistle is nobody else can hear it. Certainly not with a helmet on anyway. Just learning this site, but so far = pretty cool!! Appreciate the feedback!

an intake leak should be pretty easy to find with WD40.

Appreciate the feedback. While I'd like to believe I don't have a problem with the bike, I am still leaning towards an intake issue. Just wish somebody else could hear it. LOL I'll try the W-D.

High altitude will cause a over rich condition and I don't think you would need the choke to restart it. That would only make it richer.
If you had an intake leak one might think that would help clean up the over rich condition by allowing more air to be drawn in thru the leak.
I suppose it is still possible to have an intake leak that is large enough to overcome the extra rich condition at high altitude that would require the choke to get it running. WD-40 would help answer that question.

I would also question the gas you may have purchased recently and check for anything (dirt,sand,water) in the main jet on the carb if the WD-40 does not catch the problem.

When you changed the plugs, how did they look? Black and sooty shows an over rich condition or white would show a lean condition.

I would also look into the possibility of a blown head gasket. That would cause loss of power and a lean condition,whistle to one cylinder and the possibility of having to use the choke to get it started again.

Just my thoughts as to how I read into it from here. I hope this may help. GOOD LUCK.

Back