Dunlop or Metzler?

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by ksheritage, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ksheritage

ksheritage Member

Will the Dunlop or Metzler tires last longer on a Heritage Softail Classic? What about ride quality? Thanks.

2. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

+1 on the Dunlop. Proper inflation and balancing will go a long way for tire longevity.

3. markols1

markols1 Member

Hi i'v got the marathon metzler love it u feel it in and out of the twisty bits but like all tires,oils, it comes down to what YOU like trial and error cheers.

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I think the Dunlop tyres are fine when it is warm and dry and do give a long tread life in cooler wetter conditions i would prefer Avon or Metzler as i have mainly cold and wet here i changing all my bikes to Avon as and when the tyres need replacing

Brian

5. whacko

whacko Junior Member

The Original equipment Michelin Scorcher "31" that came on my 2010 FXDC have been great! I won't be replacing them with Michelins though as the price tag is well over $200 each for the front and back! And from what I have read they are made in France. I will be getting 12,000 miles out of my front and back michelin and the handling has been fine so good tread life and handling out of these. The price is a bit high for me though plus not US. I just put a deposit on Dunlop K591 replacements for my bike......from what I hear on this site and other reviews they should do fine for me.

6. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Replaced the original Dunlops with the same at about 11,600 on my custom. The back tire was fairly worn, could have gotten more from the front but wanted new rubber on both. Have not used Metzler, but understand they are a softer tire which may give better traction, but will probably wear faster.

7. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Riding style has alot to do with mileage. The important thing is to have same type tire on both ends of bike. With a little change in my riding style I was able to get 2500 more miles out of the second rear tire than first rear tire.

8. Old Mike

Old Mike Member

I vote for Dunlop, have had great success with them, if it's not broke don't fix it.

9. martin14

martin14 Active Member

I use Metzler 880's, love them. Great grip in the twisties ( Italy has a lot of these )
    but I buy new ones every 2 years.

Dunlop probably has a longer life.

10. Lafter

Lafter Member

I run Avon Venom's on my 06 Heritage and my 00 Custom