free website stats program Dunlop 407 rear. | Harley Davidson Forums

Dunlop 407 rear.

Jerry1834

Anyone with an 2009 with the 407 type rear out there having cupped wear problems? For a new style tire they wear like (EDIT). I have been getting 15k out of them (I known thats a lot and I have 30k on the RKC) but the thread gauge is reading 4/32 on the cupped part and 5/32 to 6/32 on the high end. With lots of meat left by the readings.

I run the recommended psi per Dunlop and don't ride it like crotch rocket. Just wondering if anyone else has notice the same type of wear.

HD has had a problem with the 407 front and wear and they came out with the 408 design. Just wondering.

Jerry

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I may get some flak for saying this...the cupping/wear issues aside, I sure do like the feel/handling of the tire...

I have mounted 4 tires on my 09 road glide, one I had a nail the other three no cupping and 20.000 miles per tire

I've replaced the front at 11k miles for cupping, but the rear now has 18k miles with no sign of cupping. Looks like I'll get 3 or 4k miles more before changing.

No problem here with the rear tire on my 09 Ultra. Changed the first one a 15,000 to be ready for a long trip, 21000, on the new one and no cupping and still tread on it. I ride two up all the time and run 40 PSI in the rear tire. I think the tire has been great.

I have an 09 FLHRC. Had the front replaced under the recall for cupping. Had 15k on that tire. Rear showed signs of uneven wear but not as bad as the front. I replaced it at the end of the season with 15k on it but could have got another 3 or 4k on it. Blew a front once at highway speed. Kept her up but not a feeling Im looking forward to again. Not worth trashing a 30,000 dollar scot for a 200 dollar tire.

Was on a froced vacation for a week and would have reply sooner but couldn't. Learned my lesson!

So, since the RKs have 16" tires do you think its a tire problem with the cupping of the rear??????

The dealer blamed it on tire pressure and balence and I proved it wasn't either.

Now if you ride a 2009 RK look at the rear tire....Do you see any cupping. You may have to run your hand over it to feel it.

May be HD and Dunlope has a problem with the rears like the fronts. In my opinion I think if the tires wore more evenly we could see and easy 20k out of them

Legend...we need to hang out...69,000 on that 09...you are livin the good life...I only have 20,000 and I thought I was living it...you are da man:s

Back