free website stats program Dumb things we all have done on a motorcycle we wish we never had. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dumb things we all have done on a motorcycle we wish we never had.

Last winter, my bike was in the shed, snow on back yard plus some more form my driveway(plowed snow), snow was up about 3 feet high, I then plowed the "curved" path 30'x4' from my drive way to my shed which made snow up about 4' tall wall on both side, place some 4x8's plywood on the grass/snow and try to get my bike out cause it was like in the mid 60' on next couple of days, long story short, back the bike out halfway(at the "curve" path), foot slipped on snow and I was between the bike and snow wall, one foot stuck in snow and the foot board and I couldn't pull it out, I was screaming like a little girl and was screaming for help with no luck, I then cursing with every kind of languages that I can think of in hope of the bike will stand up by itself(yeah right) but no one heard me beside those stupid squirrels stop running and looking at me with a funny looking faces (who wanna get outside when snow is up high and the temp is low), anyway, I try to push the bike up to free my stuck foot with another foot but the more I push the bike, the deeper I sunk into snow wall (800lbs metal vs 175lbs human flesh), snow got in my rear end and my back, I got wet and cold and I could swear that I heard those little squirrels creature were laughing at me and said "who's stupider than who now". After pushing and cursing and praying and cursing and pushing and cursing, I finally managing to free up my stuck bare foot out (my shoe stills under the bike) and got out of snow wall, got the bike up righted, got inside the house and before I could say anything, the wife was laughing at me (I bet those crazy squirrels told her) and said "that was the most funniest and stupidest thing that I've done since this year" !!!!!!!!!!. Never again.
Now that's funny!

riding home after a party, stopped at a traffic light and forgot to put my feet down. yup just like laugh in. picked up the bike and went home (poke me with a fork i am done)

:s That is when I quit drinking, Forgot to put feet down at stop sign, The Redhead was out of town ,I just laid there laughing but I knew it was time to quit riding or drinking , so the drinking stopped that was 24 years ago May:s

I didn't think it was dumb at the time... I had gotten a new pair of HD chaps, and trimmed the bottoms. First time out for a ride, I figured out I hadn't trimmed them enough. I had just made a turn from a stop light and in the process of upshifting, the bottom of the left chap got bunched up under my left boot. It wasn't really affecting anything, just felt awkward. So I reached down and gave the pant leg a firm tug (while the bike was moving). A little too firm of a tug, as I caused the bike to go left... and I bumped the center curb median, bounced off the curb which sent me back to the middle of the road. Lucky for me there was no traffic, and I regained control before totally losing it. When I got home, I changed my shorts, and then trimmed the bottom of the chaps a little more... :54:

Welll.. Where to start..
1. 1983 New one week old Honda V45 Magna - stopped in at the dealer for some parts. Feeling all "cool looking" out front. Leaned the bike over onto the side stand; only thing is I hadn't put it down yet. Went from "cool" to "fool" pretty quick.
2. 1984 Had a little disagreement with the parents over the riding temp. They thought it was too cold for me to ride the 3 hrs home and weren't gonna take no thanks for a ride as an answer. Dad had the ramp all setup behind the truck for me to load it up. I decided to ride right on past, hit grass and next thing I know I'm down and the bikes spinning on the crash bar 10 ft away. Bruised ego and slight damage to the Magna and dad wasn't impressed.
3. 1990 Loading the Magna on the back of my truck for the drive down from Gillam. A buddy had stopped by just before I went to drive it on and asked if I needed a hand. Had no problems before so said no. Drove on no problem and had the side stand side strapped in. Was tightening the cam lock style strap down on brake side and the cam lock let go on the other side. Lucky for me the gas tank pinned me against the side of the truck box or I'd have gone over. Of course while I'm pinned there nobody came along then. Nice dent in the Magna tank from my knee after that.
4. 2008 Riding in the Kananaskas just out of Calgary, Alberta on my '83 G'wing with my wife and pulling a trailer. Went to stop in at a wayside for a stretch break. The parking was on a hill and as I drove up and turned in to park I second guessed my turning space and pulled in the clutch at full handlebar left turn towards the downhill side. Instant stop and over we went, couldn't handle the top heavy weight and the downhill slant.
5. 2009 Loading up the Harley in Olds, Alberta at my wife's aunt and uncle's place. Wife and her relatives came out to the bike yacking about going to show us their son's shop. Lost my train of thought. We got on and started the bike up. Put her in gear and went 6" before stopping dead and topling over. In all the yacking I'd forgot to remove the cable lock I had around the front brake disk to engine guard:newsmile08:. That one cost me a brake lever (about what it would have cost me to get a proper disk lock and reminder cord) and bruised pride.

I really do "cool" to "fool" pretty good:newsmile100:.

One more time through those curves just a little faster.

LOL, I can relate to that one.....when I crashed the dual sport last year, we had it loaded on the trailer, then he commented on how much mud I had left on it, and my response was, 'Well, let's pull it out and I'll run it down the road and back to knock some mud off'.....that was a great idea.......NOT. :D

New rule for us, once the bike is loaded, it stays loaded. :s

Last winter, my bike was in the shed, snow on back yard plus some more form my driveway(plowed snow), snow was up about 3 feet high, I then plowed the "curved" path 30'x4' from my drive way to my shed which made snow up about 4' tall wall on both side, place some 4x8's plywood on the grass/snow and try to get my bike out cause it was like in the mid 60' on next couple of days, long story short, back the bike out halfway(at the "curve" path), foot slipped on snow and I was between the bike and snow wall, one foot stuck in snow and the foot board and I couldn't pull it out, I was screaming like a little girl and was screaming for help with no luck, I then cursing with every kind of languages that I can think of in hope of the bike will stand up by itself(yeah right) but no one heard me beside those stupid squirrels stop running and looking at me with a funny looking faces (who wanna get outside when snow is up high and the temp is low), anyway, I try to push the bike up to free my stuck foot with another foot but the more I push the bike, the deeper I sunk into snow wall (800lbs metal vs 175lbs human flesh), snow got in my rear end and my back, I got wet and cold and I could swear that I heard those little squirrels creature were laughing at me and said "who's stupider than who now". After pushing and cursing and praying and cursing and pushing and cursing, I finally managing to free up my stuck bare foot out (my shoe stills under the bike) and got out of snow wall, got the bike up righted, got inside the house and before I could say anything, the wife was laughing at me (I bet those crazy squirrels told her) and said "that was the most funniest and stupidest thing that I've done since this year" !!!!!!!!!!. Never again.

Sorry to say, you had me laughing almost as hard as the squirrels. :)

Welll.. Where to start..
1. 1983 New one week old Honda V45 Magna - stopped in at the dealer for some parts. Feeling all "cool looking" out front. Leaned the bike over onto the side stand; only thing is I hadn't put it down yet. Went from "cool" to "fool" pretty quick.
2. 1984 Had a little disagreement with the parents over the riding temp. They thought it was too cold for me to ride the 3 hrs home and weren't gonna take no thanks for a ride as an answer. Dad had the ramp all setup behind the truck for me to load it up. I decided to ride right on past, hit grass and next thing I know I'm down and the bikes spinning on the crash bar 10 ft away. Bruised ego and slight damage to the Magna and dad wasn't impressed.
3. 1990 Loading the Magna on the back of my truck for the drive down from Gillam. A buddy had stopped by just before I went to drive it on and asked if I needed a hand. Had no problems before so said no. Drove on no problem and had the side stand side strapped in. Was tightening the cam lock style strap down on brake side and the cam lock let go on the other side. Lucky for me the gas tank pinned me against the side of the truck box or I'd have gone over. Of course while I'm pinned there nobody came along then. Nice dent in the Magna tank from my knee after that.
4. 2008 Riding in the Kananaskas just out of Calgary, Alberta on my '83 G'wing with my wife and pulling a trailer. Went to stop in at a wayside for a stretch break. The parking was on a hill and as I drove up and turned in to park I second guessed my turning space and pulled in the clutch at full handlebar left turn towards the downhill side. Instant stop and over we went, couldn't handle the top heavy weight and the downhill slant.
5. 2009 Loading up the Harley in Olds, Alberta at my wife's aunt and uncle's place. Wife and her relatives came out to the bike yacking about going to show us their son's shop. Lost my train of thought. We got on and started the bike up. Put her in gear and went 6" before stopping dead and topling over. In all the yacking I'd forgot to remove the cable lock I had around the front brake disk to engine guard:newsmile08:. That one cost me a brake lever (about what it would have cost me to get a proper disk lock and reminder cord) and bruised pride.

I really do "cool" to "fool" pretty good:newsmile100:.

Be careful Oldhippie, I'm starting to see a pattern here. :D

And as for you Mr. Dave, I will have you know, I haven't had the broom out for quite a while. :p But, then again, it does fly pretty nice. :rofl

riding home after a party, stopped at a traffic light and forgot to put my feet down. yup just like laugh in. picked up the bike and went home (poke me with a fork i am done)

And you couldn't use the excuse you'd just taken off the sidecar??!:D:lolrolling

Where's the video camera when you need it?? Would've been great for Funniest Home Videos.:laugh
I can relate to this though except I had help pushing my Magna to the house across the street we were moving into in winter. Bike doesn't stay upright very good on icy streets.

Leaving the bar and forgetting to turn on the gas, stalling behind a cop car, kick start only:p

Give the cops a laugh at least..:laugh

I wish I hadn't tried to jump the cows on my dual sport last year! :D Evil Knievel I'm not. LOL, Would it sound better if I said I tried jumping the cow that was jumping the moon? :rofl

One of those "shouldna otta done that" moments. Good thing you weren't hurt worse.

LOL, I can relate to that one.....when I crashed the dual sport last year, we had it loaded on the trailer, then he commented on how much mud I had left on it, and my response was, 'Well, let's pull it out and I'll run it down the road and back to knock some mud off'.....that was a great idea.......NOT. :D

New rule for us, once the bike is loaded, it stays loaded. :s

Sorry to say, you had me laughing almost as hard as the squirrels. :)

Be careful Oldhippie, I'm starting to see a pattern here. :D

And as for you Mr. Dave, I will have you know, I haven't had the broom out for quite a while. :p But, then again, it does fly pretty nice. :rofl

Oh there's more to the pattern involving a near new $200 Shoei helmet bouncing down the highway. At least my head wasn't in it.:D

Just curious of the stupid things that we all have done on a motorcycle that we wish we never had.
I wish i would have taken a motorcycle riding course before i started riding my first bike. Took it out for a ride one day before i was ready and dump it.....ahhh!! Still have the mark on my helmet from the guys door i took out with my head. Seriously though i do recommend that course to a beginning rider before they purchase a bike. It helps to build confindents on a smaller bike before jumping onto a much more exspensive an heavier bike.

Let "friends" ride my motorcycle. As my mechanic says "we stick our hands in the fire...ONCE, we learn, and we don't do it again".

One of those "shouldna otta done that" moments. Good thing you weren't hurt worse.

Oh there's more to the pattern involving a near new $200 Shoei helmet bouncing down the highway. At least my head wasn't in it.:D

Amen, and Amen! :D

First time I trailered it, stopped to inspect the tie-downs making sure all was tight and good. Forgot to put key back in the saddlebag and as I was tooling down the freeway noticed the directional blinkers were going crazy, it was miles before I got to the next off-ramp, sure did get a lo0k of funny looks.

Back