free website stats program Dumb Question - Stage One vs. Oil Cooler? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dumb Question - Stage One vs. Oil Cooler?

Ok now concerning all this...engine temps...not so much oil temps however I do believe if your oil is cooler you engine will also be just a bit cooler...but heres my question...for a old 50s and 60s car guy...btw am 62...I live in the midwest Missouri to be exact. In our area alternative fuels of course the rage...being in the farm belt and all...anyway here goes I hope I can make this somewhat clear. When we used to race old cars up and down the country roades ( Yeah Yeah I was a rebel in my day )..but we tried to get our engines hotter than normal but would make a fuel line and install a bucket and serpentine the gas line and drop it in the bucket of ice right before we raced...that was to eliminate vapor lock...but our motors run much better the hotter we got them. These days one of the draw backs of Alternative fuels is they run so cool they are so what inefficient...lower the MPG..so we use old school technology and just block a portion of the radiator off to increase engine temps....So if its the same technology as years ago the hotter the engine (within reason of course) to more complete the burn (detonation)So is a Motorcycle engine the same being air cooled and all...Long post for such a simple question..my wife just read this post to poof read it for me..she walked away shaking her head ..told me I was impossible..that I never learned to condense anything...lol Sooooooooo anyone understand my question.:p

I think I understand it, I just don't know the answer!

Ok now concerning all this...engine temps...not so much oil temps however I do believe if your oil is cooler you engine will also be just a bit cooler...but heres my question...for a old 50s and 60s car guy...btw am 62...I live in the midwest Missouri to be exact. In our area alternative fuels of course the rage...being in the farm belt and all...anyway here goes I hope I can make this somewhat clear. When we used to race old cars up and down the country roades ( Yeah Yeah I was a rebel in my day )..but we tried to get our engines hotter than normal but would make a fuel line and install a bucket and serpentine the gas line and drop it in the bucket of ice right before we raced...that was to eliminate vapor lock...but our motors run much better the hotter we got them. These days one of the draw backs of Alternative fuels is they run so cool they are so what inefficient...lower the MPG..so we use old school technology and just block a portion of the radiator off to increase engine temps....So if its the same technology as years ago the hotter the engine (within reason of course) to more complete the burn (detonation)So is a Motorcycle engine the same being air cooled and all...Long post for such a simple question..my wife just read this post to poof read it for me..she walked away shaking her head ..told me I was impossible..that I never learned to condense anything...lol Sooooooooo anyone understand my question.:p

It was called a cool can, it made the fuel cooler so that it was more dense and would give a better cylinder fill. Blocking off the radiator would make the engine run hotter but the trick isn't to get it to run hot. In fact if you ran hot rods on the street :)hii) you would pull the thermostat out and replace it with a 160* unit instead of the usual 190* at the time and it would run better in that condition. Raised heck with the heat in the winter but we were young and didn't need heat back then :D

Let me add my 2 cents of dubious knowledge. Syn oil is definately the way to go after you have gotten a good seat on your rings. Mechs have told me it's best to run fossil oil during your break in.

Let me add my 2 cents of dubious knowledge. Syn oil is definately the way to go after you have gotten a good seat on your rings. Mechs have told me it's best to run fossil oil during your break in.

Keep in mind that rings will seat just as well with synthetic oil in there also.

These engines come with a factory fill of synthetic oil in them.

Some manufacturers are...
Aston Martin
Bentley Amage and Bentley GT
Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS
Chevrolet Corvette
Dodge Viper
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Mercedes SLR
Mitsubishi EVO
Pontiac GTO
All Porsche vehicles
Harley CVO (screamin eagle) bikes

I don't have a dog in this race but an oil cooler will do no good if your sitting in traffic. An air cooled engine will get cool air as you move through the air. I just stay out of town as much as possible. I would think the stage one would help more than an oil cooler. If riding in town overheats your bike then a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Go for the Stage one.

Back