free website stats program Dumb Question - Stage One vs. Oil Cooler? | Harley Davidson Forums

Dumb Question - Stage One vs. Oil Cooler?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Couldn't really post this in a tech section since it spanned two subjects so here it is.

Seems like the two main reasons folks do the stage one stuff (mainly talking about the remapping of the fuel) is increased power and get the engine to run cooler. I'm guessing a proper stage one setup is going to run $1000+. How much cooler is the engine going to run?

In other words, if I'm not interested in boosting my power but simply lowering the motor's temperature, wouldn't a $300 oil cooler be a more financially efficient way of doing that? People have posted about lowering the oil temp 20 degrees or so with a cooler. Does that directly mean the engine's running that much cooler? More? Less? Anyone know how much the temp is lowered with a fuel remap?

Sorry for so many questions on this one. For some reason I've really got my brain wrapped around the axle on this. Surely someone has some simple answers that will help me sleep tonight!!

I went with both, thinking I get 20 degrees with the stage one and 30 with the cooler. Since I run dino oil and the hype is the 96's run hot I'm hoping it keeps it below the threads that say it can start to break down around 235 degrees. I'm expecting to hit some hot weather this year so I didn't want to take any chances.

The stage 1 will lower the temps of the engine, how much is argumentative but it is enough to feel when you are riding in stop and go. I can't put a number on it because I never tried to. The oil cooler is good for lowering oil temps by 10-15* OIL TEMPS. The actual engine or head temp will probably not change too much but it should relate to a few degrees cooler because of the cooling effect of the lower temps in the oil. The main reason as said by Zamadan is to keep the oil from breaking down if you are using dino oil which starts to degrade at about 250*. The synthetics will last to above 300* before degradation starts to work.

The stage 1 will lower the temps of the engine, how much is argumentative but it is enough to feel when you are riding in stop and go. I can't put a number on it because I never tried to. The oil cooler is good for lowering oil temps by 10-15* OIL TEMPS. The actual engine or head temp will probably not change too much but it should relate to a few degrees cooler because of the cooling effect of the lower temps in the oil. The main reason as said by Zamadan is to keep the oil from breaking down if you are using dino oil which starts to degrade at about 250*. The synthetics will last to above 300* before degradation starts to work.

So it sounds like if I go with a quality synthetic like Mobil One V Twin an oil cooler is not necessary?

Also, I feel like an idiot not having an oil temp guage like all you guys - is it a pretty straightforward install?

An oil cooler is really beneficial but it depends on the type of riding you do. If you ride in a hot climate, it would benefit you as opposed to someone that rides in a cold area.

The synthetics as said will usually lower the oil temps about 10* so I think besides this that the synthetic oils are worth the extra $$$. They are superior to dino oil in many ways. They even keep the engine cleaner inside than dino oil will. You'll notice if you are coming from using a dino oil to a synthetic that the first change will get dark real quickly with little mileage.

The oil temp gauge is an extra. I don't have one because there's nothing you can do about the temps even if you have one. A oil pressure gauge on the other hand it a good idea.JMHO

I certainly did not do a stage one to help cool the motor. I wanted more power! The additional oil cooler and synthetic oil was for my peace of mind, and the dash mounted oil temp gauge was to monitor all of the above!

That's pretty much my point - right now I don't feel the need for any more power and I like the sound of my stock pipes (sound of everyone on the forum gasping!) so I see no need to do any stage one stuff. It gets hot here in the summer so I'm already plotting ways to keep the engine cooler.

Best bet is to wait then and see just hot the bike gets in the summer. I think you will change your mind then. The 96 engines run very hot in stock trim.:s

Has anyone tried one of those slip on finned aluminum cans that fit over the oil filter. The principal makes sense (basically a heat sink) without any fitting mods or hose routing.

I guess onother benifit would be that you wouldn't have to buy a chrome d filter

That was discussed here not that long ago. I feel it's a waste of money myself because of the design. If you cover a regulator, it overheats:s

Ok now concerning all this...engine temps...not so much oil temps however I do believe if your oil is cooler you engine will also be just a bit cooler...but heres my question...for a old 50s and 60s car guy...btw am 62...I live in the midwest Missouri to be exact. In our area alternative fuels of course the rage...being in the farm belt and all...anyway here goes I hope I can make this somewhat clear. When we used to race old cars up and down the country roades ( Yeah Yeah I was a rebel in my day )..but we tried to get our engines hotter than normal but would make a fuel line and install a bucket and serpentine the gas line and drop it in the bucket of ice right before we raced...that was to eliminate vapor lock...but our motors run much better the hotter we got them. These days one of the draw backs of Alternative fuels is they run so cool they are so what inefficient...lower the MPG..so we use old school technology and just block a portion of the radiator off to increase engine temps....So if its the same technology as years ago the hotter the engine (within reason of course) to more complete the burn (detonation)So is a Motorcycle engine the same being air cooled and all...Long post for such a simple question..my wife just read this post to poof read it for me..she walked away shaking her head ..told me I was impossible..that I never learned to condense anything...lol Sooooooooo anyone understand my question.:p

Back