free website stats program DTC's | Harley Davidson Forums

DTC's

mbgallo

My bike is an '06 road king and I love being able to bring up the DTC's and part numbers using the speedometer...right now I am getting a code of P0562 indicating ignition line overvoltage insturments and a part number of 68920-01d and a b1007 code battery voltage low, part number 67096-04a...my real question is can most of this work be done by oneself by knowing the parts numbers or do I still need to bring it in to my mechanic? I am moderately mechanically inclined and do have a shop manual tho it is from my '99 road king, but I don't mind spending money on a newer version. It has come in handy and save me the cost of the manual more than once. Glad I stumbled across this forum...sounds like there is more than one person that actually knows what they are talking about, especially when it comes to electrical issues. Thanks for any information that can be provided

mbgallo

The part number you see are from where the DTC were sent from. In your case, from the turn signal module and from speedo module. That is all the part numbers mean. With those numbers, it indicates the firmware that is loaded to each module.

Those part numbers are not the parts that are "bad"

06 FL Reg Recall M-1204
Published by glider (Community Liaison)
Published date: Dec 26th, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has learned that certain 2006 Touring model motorcycles were assembled with a potentially defective voltage regulator.
In the interest of customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson has elected to replace the old style voltage regulator (P/N 74505- 06) on all affected motorcycles.
This effort also includes the replacement of all affected P&A chrome voltage regulators.

Required Dealer Action
1. As some motorcycles may have already had the voltage regulator replaced under warranty, and would not require replacement under this program, always check the four digit date code:

a. On stock (black) voltage regulators, the part number (74505-06) and date code are stamped at the rear (just in front of the oil filter). See Figure 1.
b. On P&A chrome voltage regulators, the part number (74622-06) and date code are printed on an adhesive label fixed to the inboard side of the right leg. See Figure 2.

NOTE
For internal purposes, actual part number on the label may be 74623-06 instead of 74622-06.
2. If the date code is between 4205–1406:

a. Replace the stock (black) voltage regulator with that provided in the wave shipment of replacement part kits (P/N 94503).
b. Replace the P&A chrome voltage regulator with that provided in the ordered replacement part kit (P/N 94527).

NOTE
The last two digits of the date code is the year of manufacture, while the first two digits is the week of the year.

Pulled my regulator to see if it might be included in recall (06 FLHR Road King Custom) and most of the number was worn away...any other way to check on this? number located on any other part of regulator, for instance or by VIN?

Thanks Glider, my problem turned out to be a bad volltage regulator...of course it wasn't one covered by any recall but at least it was easy to replace and a lot easier than the stator would have been. Great forum and lots of good information here...

Are you sure the stator is also OK? I have changed BOTH of them as BOTH were wrong. And I am not the only one. The problem: if the stator is wrong, it will destroy AGAIN the new regulator.
Re-check both before new piece dies.

Back