free website stats program DTC U1301 / Speedo and Tach Randomly Die | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

DTC U1301 / Speedo and Tach Randomly Die

:D Good Luck Dr, and be sure to report back so we all can learn:D

Let us know what happens. Hopefully between tightening the bat.and cleaning the connectors you got it. It takes very little corrosion to cause an intermittent problem.

Update:

Went for what I was hoping to be a "code free" ride but it was not meant to be. Exact same thing happened twice with the same code resulting.

I was half way to my dealer on my ride so I decided I was sick of trouble shooting and would let them fix it. Dropped it off, explained what was happening (again) and explained exactly what I had done so far.

Three days later they called and said bike was ready. I had to specifically ask what they had done to fix it. Tech said:

1) Battery was no good and was replaced. I mentioned that it was less than 1 year old and had passed my load test. He said the charging system tested fine but the battery would only charge to 13.8 and the specs call for 14.2

2) The radio is bad and is putting some kind of erroneous signal on the serial bus. Then the ECM reacts to this by cutting out the gauges and throwing the code. They said with the radio disconnected, two different techs took it out for a ride and the code never returned.

I can live with biting the bullet on a new battery but there's no way I'm paying $980 for a new HK radio when it's nowhere near the best unit available anyway. They even want $400 for a refurbished HK unit.

My current plan is to ride the bike for a bit with the radio disconnected and see what happens. If it is, in fact, a bad radio, I will look into upgrading to something, probably from Biketronics.

If the code returns with the radio disconnected, then I will know their analysis was wrong, reconnect my radio, and continue troubleshooting. Maybe Hoople will jump back in and point me to the few other things he mentioned that were lower priority than the connectors I already cleaned up.

When buying the bike new, can it be made to order without a radio or must it come from the factory with a HD radio.
Have you ever seen one on the showroom floor with radio delete.

HD used to build the EG Standard that came without a radio. The last year for the EG Standard was 2009.

Speedo diagnotics has to be able to distinguish between a "no response" and "None" for a device on the network. Since the bike was availlable without a radio, it tells me the ECM/speedo can be programed for radio delete.

So worse case have the dealer program the bike for radio delate. Then just remove the 2 CAN wires from the radio connector. Leave all the other wires alone. Speedo diagnostics wont miss the device on the Lan because you had it programmed as "none". The DTU 1301 will no longer hit the error log because the wires that have the noise on them will no longer be on the Lan. And the radio should continue to play just fine.

Mind you this is all a theory.:)

Speedo diagnotics has to be able to distinguish between a "no response" and "None" for a device on the network. Since the bike was availlable without a radio, it tells me the ECM/speedo can be programed for radio delete.

So worse case have the dealer program the bike for radio delate. Then just remove the 2 CAN wires from the radio connector. Leave all the other wires alone. Speedo diagnostics wont miss the device on the Lan because you had it programmed as "none". The DTU 1301 will no longer hit the error log because the wires that have the noise on them will no longer be on the Lan. And the radio should continue to play just fine.

Mind you this is all a theory.:)

Well, your theory is a million times better than anything my feeble mind can come up with!

First, I have a feeling trying to get my dealer to reprogram the ECM for radio delete might be likened to teaching a pig to speak Chinese. I'm not super confident in their abilities in this area. I guess I could call several local dealers and see if any of them understand what I would be trying to do.

Second, a question or two about removing the 2 CAN wires. What does CAN stand for? Where are these wires? Would I be cutting them or removing them somehow from a connector?

I guess for now I don't need to do anything until I'm 100% confident that the code isn't coming back and the radio was the cause of it.

Thanks, Hoople!!! :worthy

Well, your theory is a million times better than anything my feeble mind can come up with!

First, I have a feeling trying to get my dealer to reprogram the ECM for radio delete might be likened to teaching a pig to speak Chinese. I'm not super confident in their abilities in this area. I guess I could call several local dealers and see if any of them understand what I would be trying to do.

Second, a question or two about removing the 2 CAN wires. What does CAN stand for? Where are these wires? Would I be cutting them or removing them somehow from a connector?

I guess for now I don't need to do anything until I'm 100% confident that the code isn't coming back and the radio was the cause of it.

Thanks, Hoople!!! :worthy

Can-Bus is an acronym for Controller Area Network and it is a method that enables communications between the electrical in your vehicle. Here is some info for you Dr, this is the latest in tech developed to make diagnostics and repair harder and more sopisticated

This attachment is for a 2008 Touring bike. Not sure if it is exactly yours since it says "Ultra" radio connector and I don't know what code (FLHX/FLHXI) your bike is. But look at connector 28A which is the radio connector. Pins # 13 & #14 are the serial pair. From what the tech told you, this should be the source for the noise on the CAN bus.

If all works well with the radio connector disconnected, and you feel it is the radio that is causing the DTC codes, I would disconnect pin 13 & 14 wires from 28B.
Realize that the radio gets ECM info from those wires. If the radio has auto volume level from MPH or road speed, that feature will no longer work since the radio will no longer know how fast the bike is going. I don't have a radio on my bike and don't understand all the features they have.
I am just giving you a low cost fix to your problem.

But before you remove any wires, determine if the radio is generating the noise like the dealership tech said by unplugging 28A & 28B.
This will also tell you if you must change the config to "radio delete". See if the speedo/ecm starts logging codes for the missing radio. If it does not, you won't need to re-config the speedo.

Attachments

• Radio_serial.pdf
    91.3 KB · Views: 5
I do not know about the bike setup but my car uses the can bus for the steering wheel controls and also to tell the unit to shut down etc etc
So it may be that removing the radio from the can bus may stop handlebar controls etc from working

Brian

So it may be that removing the radio from the can bus may stop handlebar controls etc from working

That would probably be the case if the bike was a 2012/2013 model. They have a BCA (Body control module) and all Bars switches commo with BCM over Lan.

But shouldn't be an issue on a 2008 with pre-BCA. All switches are hard wired.

Attachments

• Bars_#1.pdf
    85.2 KB · Views: 4
Back