free website stats program DTC Codes after riser installation | Harley Davidson Forums

DTC Codes after riser installation

roano440

I did a simple riser mod to my 09 Road King, and immediately logged codes P1510. P2127, P2138. Checked and cleaned all connections, as per the many posts I read about this, no help. In checking the twist grip sensor, I found the 3 red, white, black wires in the yellow wrapping, and the same 3 color wires in black wrapping, but also found a larger black wire from the TGS not connected to anything. Is this a wire that should be connected somewhere ?
p.s I tried to clear the codes, but they would not clear. Bike starts and seems to run normally. Any info to help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I had already read that post and followed the procedure listed, but the codes would not clear. Still wondering about that extra wire referenced above. Thanks

p.s I tried to clear the codes, but they would not clear.

Regardless if the code is "current", you should have been able to clear the codes,,,at least until you once again started the bike.

Something is not right. What steps did you take to clear the codes.

To clear the codes, I went into diagnostic mode via the odometer button, when each code displayed, I held the button until it said clear, same for the next code, and so on. Then turned off the ignition, then back on again to start up, the check engine light comes on normally, but never goes off. Bike will start and seems to be running fine. Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you "cleared" the codes correctly. If the engine check light is on that means they are current codes (not intermittent).

The twist grip is made up of two pots. Only 1 is really needed but they use two for protection from unexpected acceleration and runaway. In your case one pot is working. That is why the bike is running. But the ECM see's the summing votage is not correct. The ECM knows only one pot is working.

There is a wire that is not connected or shorted somehow. I'm not there but that's my guess.

================================================

Without taking the bars or wiring apart, you can make a few tests directly at the ECM connector to verify it is a twist grip issue. That would be the easiest and best way. If you have a quality meter and can read schematics, I can walk you through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small digital meter that works pretty good and ready to give it a go. P. S. I already have the headlight out and the twist grip out of the handlebar

Since you got the twist grip out, the tests at the ECM connector won't work. So take a close look at the twist grip connector for anything that looks out of place. Back-track your steps. Put it back together, clear the codes once again and see if they come back.

Back