free website stats program dtc 31 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

dtc 31

i had got it from another forum but thats as far as i could get for diagnostics i dont have the electrical diagnostics manual but not sure if it is in .there sorry i had to step out my friend was having chest pains brought him some nitro pills to see if that would help him im glad i could contribute something as that is why we are all here

yesterday i spoke with a tech from harley told me to change batteries in both fobs just in case yes they were original still have same problem so he said if it doesnt work then he will try to guide me thru next step . i also ordered the elec diagnostic manual anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
key on key off key on hit left turn signal 2 times wait for 2 flashes ,right turn switch once one flash ,right switch once 2 flashes,right turn switch once again 3 flashes left turn switch once then read codes to clear left switch hold for confirmation 2 flashes hold at least 5 secs yea disconnecting battery wont do it

Spoolit, I have a couple of codes I need to clear from my 01 RK, and tried this but was not succesfull, I might be doing something wrong.
Did you try it and were you sucessful?
Are the flashes I'm looking for signal light flashes or the check engine light?
Thanks.

Roadking01 the flashes are the signals ,i am not sure of your codes and it might be different . i have not resolved my problem yet .
Kenny

Spoolit, from your 1st post, your battery measurement was 0.5V???, a NiMH battery should measure 1.3V fully charged...0.5V sounds like the trickle charger cannot keep up with the battery load in ckt. Likely time to change that puppy out...especially if someone changed it with a NiCd due to the price or what not....pitch it, they are junk!

If you have Security Audible Alarm Module, there is a 9V Rectangle NiMH battery, typically they are a stack of cells reading 7.2V or 8.4V depending how many cells they packed. They should last 5-7 years minimum, as they are run in standby mode.

Last edited:
Just my two cents but having had the same problem, I researched this extensively. Many have reported the code for the alarm output showing up even without the optional siren as in my case. Several riders have ignored the code after failing to find the cause with no negative results, some for years. I was able to clear mine by cleaning all the connections at the TSSM and the fuse block. After a week or two I tried to clear the "historic" code that still showed up (security lamp lights for a few seconds after starting) only to have the original code come back. I haven't had time to tear into it again but have been riding it with the code still there with zero problems. Alarm still works, everything works fine, just the annoying 6 flashes after turning the key on. I suspect there is an intermittent short in the wiring that goes to the optional siren since those were bundled so tight I could barely
get them loose. I think I will clean the TSSM connections again with Deoxit D5 which is supposed to be the best electrical connection cleaner there is.
I doubt that the TSSM is bad as everything else works perfectly and no other codes are present.......or maybe "they all do that!" Just my thoughts on the subject.

ok sorry to get back late on this .i checked the battery in the siren the battery leaked and corroded the terminal for the battery so one terminal was not making connection any more so i replaced siren . now i still get the six flashes and no chirp from alarm .so i checked for codes and it doesnt show any ? was i supposed to do something for this to work correctly before i installed it ?

siren.jpg

Your gonna love this they sold me a non chirp siren ,so they swapped it out for me today and ill let you know how that goes

I also googled the siren and found instructions saying it may take up to 4 hrs to charge internal battery?

Kenny

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the chirp was a feature you turned on or off. I know it is on my 2009 FXDL. One siren part number does both for me.

I have had more problems with my standby battery than anything else on my bike. You pull the fuse and sometimes it blows and sometimes it does not. Sometimes the battery charges and sometimes it will just blow for 10 seconds then quit. The remote pager is also just about worthless.

update ,ok so i got the siren for my bike chirp model of course the internal battery was not charged .i wasnt suprised so after being on the tender and riding saturday the internal bat strong at 9.20 v ok still no chirp so i put dieletric grease on tssm connector and had spread the terminals on the siren pluged all together alarm siren went off by itself had a hard time to have it stop code went away armed and disarmed the alarm all was well then turned ign on 5 mins later six flashes and no more chirp

went back thru connections same code 31 with siren hooked up or not i guess i got a bad tssm at this point ?????

Does your siren have the antenna?

If yes, did you read Joy's link.

I have the model (siren II) with the antenna but it does not chirp because I turned off the feature.

Same code 31? Were you ever able to clear the code.

Back