free website stats program dtc 31 | Harley Davidson Forums

dtc 31

spoolit

Hi everyone just joined the community and have a problem with a dtc 31 .my bike is 2002 wideglide3 .it has the optional siren which no longer chirps but the alarm arms and disarms .i checked voltage and ground at siren and have good ground and bat voltage when i check the wire for siren it is .50 volt when you arm and disarm i get no change on that wire and am not sure if it should go high or low any help getting this resolved would be great thank you
Kenny

If more info is needed just ask

Kenny, Alarm output low means that the module that drives the optional siren is being pulled low (to grd) by some kind of external load, most likely the optional siren itself. What I would do is temporarily remove the optional siren. If the optional siren has an internal problem, that pull down load will vanish.

The only problem I can see to fixing this issue is clearing your error code to see if it returns. How I understand it,,, on your model, the codes can only be cleared by a dealership tool. Of course you can wait and let it clear on it's own but that is a real pain.
Am I wrong on this? Can you clear a code.

Hoople thanks for your reply i also checked the voltage with siren dissconnected sorry for not stating that and is still at .50 volt constant
thanks againn hoople this is the closet i am getting to coming up with an answer i think maybe it is being pulled down like you say or can the tssm be bad if i dissconect the tssm module will i have to relearn it when i reconnect it i was thinking of checking the signal wire to ground . i feel progress here thank you

can the tssm be bad

Sure, it can be an internal issue with the TSSM. My approach (if you can clear codes yourself) would be to remove the external optional siren & clear the 31 code. If the code does not reappear, it is a solid indication the siren module is bad. If the code does reappear with the siren out of the picture, it is a solid indication the TSSM is bad. Nothing is 100%,, but a solid indication is 95%.

See if removing the siren has any impact on logging a code. Like I said earlier, clearing codes on the early bikes (how I understand it) is not as easy as it would be on a bike like mine. The Delphi firmware is more user friendly on the 2004's and up models.

I don't like the fact that the .50v level remained the same. It would have been nice to see that voltage float high. But it does not really prove anything with certainty.

Hoople thanks i am getting head way now . i didnt like it staying the same voltage either . i am going to try that with it dissconected thanks again you have been very helpfull

Hoople i went thru the motions and still got code 31 so suspect i gather would be tssm thanks again this has been the furthest i got on this problem very happy tommorow i am going to at least check that i am not shorted to ground on that circuit to make sure

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are able to clear the code and re-test with a clean error log?
If so how did you clear the code?

Hoople thru the directional method got the confirmation it cleared i hope that is accurate i hate to have to go to dealer ,

Wow. I never heard of the directional method. How is it done.
Here is what I know about the early level bikes and I did not see anything about clearing codes. Who knows,, it may be staring me in the face.:p

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

I think this came up a few weeks ago about someone wanting to clear codes on an early level bike and the net result was the dealership had to do it. I think we even pulled the battery in hopes of clearing the code but it would not release.

key on key off key on hit left turn signal 2 times wait for 2 flashes ,right turn switch once one flash ,right switch once 2 flashes,right turn switch once again 3 flashes left turn switch once then read codes to clear left switch hold for confirmation 2 flashes hold at least 5 secs yea disconnecting battery wont do it

This is a Great contribution. I have been here a year and have not seen this.

Where on earth did you come across this... please don't tell me it's in the service manual! :)

Back