free website stats program Dry Sump or Wet Sump | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dry Sump or Wet Sump

Just to reiterate the answerer to the question this is classed as a dry sump lubrication system with a separate oil tank although there is always a wee bit of oil left in the sump most of the oil is in the remote tank
Please do not try and remove anything in the sump that looks like a drain plug as you may end up cracking the case

Brian

Let's try to do better tomorrow..... :tounge :D

I told you not to say "I'm bored and have nothing to do", now those chores are going to grow by leaps and bounds. It will be never ending.:( Please don't ask me how I know.:D

:p The Redhead has ORDERED me to ride my bike 2 times every day, HMMM I think I can do that :rider

Thank you all for your advice! So I am to asume that the oil system in my 2012 Road King 103ci is a dry sump oil system. Also if I adjust my clutch it should shift better and go into neutral easier. One last question......How long can I go in between oil changes if I use full synthetic oil? Thanks again.....det45

One last question......How long can I go in between oil changes if I use full synthetic oil? Thanks again.....det45

Oh Boy - this one will get you dozens of answers. I've seen forum members recommend everything from 2000 miles up to 10000 miles and more using a good quality synthetic. Seems like the majority fall into the 3k to 5k range.

I read somewhere a test was done on 2 london taxis,one full syn the other dino....the oils were checked every thousand miles,also for wear and tear to the motor and such,and the dino, showed signs of breaking down after 5 thousand,with the expected amount of metal (whatever that is) in it, while the full syn went on for nearly 15 thousand miles ,with no signs of any metal or oil breaking down.Gotta remember this was under test conditions tho,which doesnt ,in my experience equate well to real life.I'm not an kind of an expert,but I reckon if you have no choice,you could probably leave an oil change of full syn somewheres between the 5 and 10 thou mark with no bad consequences.
That said,I switched to Red Line in all three holes in my wide glide,a few years back,but still change the oils at the end of the season,more thru habit than anything I've read.Up to now, so its a win win for both of us,Red Line get more of my hard earned,and I get the protection my bike deserves,not bad as trade offs go!!

After all that,as you probably have guessed by now,it pays to heed what Tank and the others advise,I havent been steered wrong yet!

I went ahead and bought the Harley-Davidson SY3 full synthetic from the dealership (I must say very expensive) so hopefully I can get at least 5k miles between oil changes. Also the dealership said I can use SY3 in all three holes......det45

I went ahead and bought the Harley-Davidson SY3 full synthetic from the dealership (I must say very expensive) so hopefully I can get at least 5k miles between oil changes. Also the dealership said I can use SY3 in all three holes......det45

Not a good choice for the tranny, the dealers have been advised about this it can cause bluing of the shifter forks and bearing damage your ride you decide

Like I said earlier this is my first Harley so your advice is greatly valued! Being that I already purchased the Syn3 can I use it in all three holes for the first 5k or should I use something else. Please forgive me for my ignorance on this subject but I don't want to hurt my bike. So I'm gathering that I can use the Syn3 in the engine but not in the transmission or chain drive? Your advice is appreciated and needed (Great Site!).....det45

Back