free website stats program Dry Sump or Wet Sump | Harley Davidson Forums

Dry Sump or Wet Sump

det45

Hello all, I just bought my first Harley Davidson and I love my HD. It's a 2012 Road King Classic 103ci. I've owned metric bikes all of my riding life until now. I must admit I was missing out on what a real bike should be. With that being said, please forgive me on my ignorance but does my 2012 Road King have a dry sump oil system or a wet sump system. I do not have a oil tank on my bike like my neighbors 2012 Deluxe. Also should I run full synthetic oil or mineral based oil. Can I go longer on synthetic? Thank you all for your advice......det45 San Antonio Texas. :D

Hello all, I just bought my first Harley Davidson and I love my HD. It's a 2012 Road King Classic 103ci. I've owned metric bikes all of my riding life until now. I must admit I was missing out on what a real bike should be. With that being said, please forgive me on my ignorance but does my 2012 Road King have a dry sump oil system or a wet sump system. I do not have a oil tank on my bike like my neighbors 2012 Deluxe. Also should I run full synthetic oil or mineral based oil. Can I go longer on synthetic? Thank you all for your advice......det45 San Antonio Texas. :D

Welcome to The Forum, your oil tank is under the bike , The oil pump is inside the cam chest on the RS of the motor Oil - Harley Davidson Community here are some reads on oils

Also I have one more question....? My new Road King is very difficult to put into neutral, is that normal for a new Harley? Thanks again......det45

I'm new here too,I joined a while back and spend a lot of time here but haven't made any post,I do enjoy the site.I have a bike like yours and the only time it's been hard to get in netural is when I made a quick stop without down shifting.It's always easy from first or second.I park in first most of the time,and when I go back to it just a bump with my heel,it seldom if ever misses.

switch to spectro or red line oils. r/l offers a syn shockproof gear lube , ans 20x60 syn motorcycle oil.
or spectro has some good oils too. shifting will inprove with the change. lb

For you Clutch/Shift question/answer.

A NEW bike Will be tighter for a short time. I would Check the Clutch adjustment to be sure...

Here is My way to do the clutch adjustment.:newsmile03:
(very similar to HD's Book way)

Harley Davidson Community

To me and MANY others, This Method Works Good and is easy to understand.

signed....BUBBIE

I don't think anyone ever told him if he has a dry sump or wet sump. Or is there a chance I missed something?

Back