free website stats program Dropped Helmet | Harley Davidson Forums

Dropped Helmet

Steve Di.

The other day I was putting away my bike for the winter and I accidentally dropped my helmet. The helmet was in its bag when it dropped approximately four feet on the concrete floor in my garage. The helmet has a plastic shell but has no apparent damage. I am wondering if there may be some hidden internal damage that could compromise the helmet's integrity, as mentioned in the helmet's literature.

Have any of you ever had a helmet inspected after dropping it? If so, what was the outcome? I want to be safe, but.......:s

I agree with Smitty, you have to use your judgement. Personally, if I can't find a crack in it, I might deem it ok. However, if you're too uncomfortable to make that call then just replace it.

Mines been dropped a few times,same I guess ,as many other riders,I have inspected it VERY closely every time,and as its the thermoplastic type,it has only supperficial scratches.But as said,if you have the slightest doubt,get a new one,if only for your peace of mind.

I have a bad habit of leaving my helmet and sunglasses on the seat,start the bike to warm it up and off they go. approx. 7 pairs of sunglasses a year and a few more scrapes on the helmet. The only way you can check a helmet aside from visual would be to have it x-rayed. At the cost of new helmets if your uncomfortable replace it. As for me I don,t worry about it until the helmet looks too ratty.

We went through the garage and cleaned up a few weeks ago and threw out all the old helmets.I must be a pack rat we had helmets from when I rode dirk bikes in the 70s I bought a new helmet this year replacing the one I've had since 81

If I replaced my helmet every time I dropped one in 40 years of riding I could side my house with the old ones. :small3d023:

Seriously...But another question arises, while we're discussing helmet replacement, and I'll be interested in hearing from the older riders especially, (like me, Smitty, etc, etc), as to when it's time to replace the helmet even if it has never suffered any trauma...but what about it guys?

When is it time to buy a new one, even if the old one looks perfect?

Like Richard & Smitty, you should use your better judgement, no one will say to use a dropped helmet due to liability concerns. That said, I inspect my helmet liner, EPS liner and straps for condition after dropped incident. Replace the helmet if damage or wear is evident you feel could affect the reliability. A good indicator is the strap and the associated plastic/vinyl. If it is brittle or cracked it is likely the time, as hidden or latent defects are probably the worst type of failure rather than the obvious visual one. 8-10 years is probably a good maximum. :53:

Just a reminder, technology marches on, the new ones have ventilation features, antifog/scratch resistant shields (another guage of condition if you use 'em), and safety findings...some helmets are made too strong to meet some standards (like Snell) so that the outside fiberglass or composite would not absorb shock dissipating force with distributed cracking throughout like the cheaper poly-carbonates, even the latest GP road racers have moved to the softer compounds of street helmets with different ratings when it comes to protecting their celebrated craniums :D

Last edited:
Keep in mind also that impact condtions are quite different, and a helmet that hits the ground with nothing inside it but air, will handle that impact differently than a helmet that is filled by a head, and is driven by the weight of a body attached.

I get a kick out of the "if you drop your helmet replace it". At the MSF course they said they would kick you out if you dropped your helmet and didn't have a replacement because they were no good for protection after dropping.

So I says to myself , IF that is TRUE and IF you go down and your helmet is only good for one bounce and then you better never have an accident where you do anything other than fall straight off the bike at below 5mph or less.

For the record I've gone down three times and my head always bounced more than once. I think the helmet did a pretty good job on the second, third, and forth bounce also.

On the other hand - for me, at least - this would be my perfect excuse to go buy that "new and different" Cranium Case I've been admiring.

I was right page 5 they drop the darn thing on an ANVIL :(
So if you have it test you still hjave to replace because they dropped it round and round this crazy world goes.

That's the one they would sell to me:small3d023:

Back