free website stats program Driving when it is hot out | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Driving when it is hot out

Well new plugs seem to make the bike run really well, way more responsive.... But it was 85 degrees out today and road home(20 miles) , stopped , went into store for 10min or less came out and no start, turns over great but no fire, 20 min later fires right up.....

In the last twenty years I've owened (and still do) both carbed and injected bikes. I've been thru some horrific heat with both bikes and have never experienced startup problems like that. Pinging at high temps, yes, startup issues, no. I'm just a back yard mechanic but I tend to lean towards a vapor lock issue, makes sense. It might be as simple as a venting problem with your gas cap.

I replaced with NGK

Even if they appear to work, I would not use them. At least not with late model 4 wire primary coils. Early models OK. Bubbie already recommended to do that.

I would also check to see if the fuel pressure is at spec and also if the pressure in the lines remains after you shut down engine. After you shut down the engine, fuel rail pressure should remain in the 50's for a long time. Quick bleed down will invite a bunch of problems.

I know you said you had spark when you tested it. But I would change out the crank sensor anyway. They are not crazy expensive. Bubbie already has talked about that. Also perform a resistance check of the spark plug wires and inspect coil tower terminals.

Also start buying a different BRAND NAME fuel just to eliminate that possibility. The additives can make a difference.

I have had this problem. the issue I had was that the fuel pump was going bad and after it would settle down it would work fine until it got warm again and then it did not put out good pressure causing failure to start.

You say the bike would not start.
Do you mean that it would not turn over at all?
Or, do you mean that it would turn over OK, only it would not start up?

It would turn over fine, it just wouldnt fire....and then 10-15 min later it would fire and off i could ride, untill i stop again. It always cranks over, just doesnt always fire until it sits for 10-15 min

It would turn over fine, it just wouldnt fire....and then 10-15 min later it would fire and off i could ride, untill i stop again. It always cranks over, just doesnt always fire until it sits for 10-15 min

I'm not going back to re-read all but: a bad coil would do this IF it needs sitting to cool off... Then works good until shut off again.

Yes it May work fine Until Shut off then IT needs to cool..

JMOpinion.

signed....BUBBIE

Well I replaced the NGK plugs to HD 6R12 plugs and no change, I ended up taking it to the dealer,and what they found was a hose that was losing pressure in the tank when it got hot and would expand and lose pressure and as it cooled down it would be able to build pressure again???? Dont know , but it started every time so far today. I will give you an update after i go out for a long test ride.

I want to thank you all for your input !

Well I replaced the NGK plugs to HD 6R12 plugs and no change, I ended up taking it to the dealer,and what they found was a hose that was losing pressure in the tank when it got hot and would expand and lose pressure and as it cooled down it would be able to build pressure again???? Dont know , but it started every time so far today. I will give you an update after i go out for a long test ride.

I want to thank you all for your input !

The stock plugs will be better in the Long Run.

That Problem in it's self Makes Sense... Thanks for sharing the FIND... IT Will help us in future trouble-shootiing and POSTING it here for us to see.

Glad you found it...

signed....BUBBIE

Back