free website stats program Driving when it is hot out | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Driving when it is hot out

I fueled the bike up this morning and filled to the top and the excess leaked out the vent or overflow tube in front of rear wheel.

I appreciate everyones input and advice. And by all means please keep it coming.

Not having bike issue, but being our first HD my wife is having a right leg roast !!

The addition of a TFI or Gen3 will make a BIG difference in the heat... Proper Fuel will cool the Beast.

MY 09 doesn't have cats.:D
That was a buying bonus becuse the new august, just in, 2010 sitting behind it DID...:small3d002:

The ride home to Wa. with the new bike, (bought on that trip, Bend Oregon) PROVED way too LEAN on fuel and Too Much Heat. WOW... Even Cat-Less HOT...

My wife had her Hot Leg problems and really didn't like her ride home on that HOT trip back.

I did what I KNEW would improve the Heat situation...

A good full synthetic engine oil (redline 20/50) then

I added a SE air unit (better breathing)
A set of V&H slip-ons. Nice mellow sound. Not too loud.
Using the original 09 head pipes, not true duels (better low end torque)

(both full sized mufflers not the tinny box for the left side)

Then TFI. Ordered set up for My bike. Easy to install and Only needed to re-adjust the first green pot for the Idle/run mixture.
And adjusted once again after I put in the SE255 cam (later installed).

On our FIRST Trip out with My modifications, MY wife ASK? "WHAT did you do to the bike???
I asked WHY??? (i knew why):D

She said "IT IS Much cooler and feels smoother than the ride home".

She has since then become a bigger FAN of the King and rides with me OFTEN and that keeps us together doing things we BOTH enjoy... Long trips and over nighters would NOT have been in the cards with the HEAT produced like the first ride home.
Riding here in HOT az. I did add a Jagg side mounted Oil Cooler.
(post to read in the other Hot thread)

I Know the 09 head pipes will fit the 12's and would suggest Get the Cats out by buying a used set off ebay or a member and going Cat-less and get the TFI or the Gen3, do the Air improvement and Mufflers.

We have a good thing with Dobeck as you are a member on HTD, You get 50$ off and free shipping of their Product and The Best In Customer Service.

Call Chris at Dobecks (877-764-3337) and Ask away , then order the TFI for your bike... you and the wife will like it:bigsmiley12:

signed....BUBBIE

I have Drago's tru duals and ThunderMax AutoTune, we never rode above 80 before I added those, so I can not truely compare to original in hot conditions. I have the mid frame deflectors on and a Lenale fan to add, hope it doesn't make it worse for her !! I'll check that other thigh cooler

thanks

I thought the CBX and the Valkyrie were hot !!!!!

Yeah riding in the heat and the heat off the motor like riding in a blast furnace... But my problem is that when riding when it is hot out and motor is hot, It wont start! cranks over and has spark but no fire....until it has sat for about 10-15 min and then starts???

Yeah riding in the heat and the heat off the motor like riding in a blast furnace... But my problem is that when riding when it is hot out and motor is hot, It wont start! cranks over and has spark but no fire....until it has sat for about 10-15 min and then starts???

Eager,

Question:
How old are the plugs,,,, Try a new set of 6R12's... Nothing different but the stock HD plug.

Can you Smell gas when you first shut it down?
CRANKING After NO Start,,, then do you smell gas?

Quickly, take out a plug to Look at the spark plug tips.... RIGHT after you Try starting the motor, Cranking over enough to wet the plugs after no start,,, IF Plugs are DRY, after cranking on it to start it,,, There the proof is that it is NOT getting gas.

IF plugs are wet, Flooding or not enough Spark is there to fire it off.

signed....BUBBIE

I pulled the plugs and the rear looked like it was running alittle lean, the front looked good, but the steel base (for plug socket) was rusty and discolored. may have been original plugs, I have put 8k of the 28k on the bike. I replaced with NGK (available tonight) hit the started button and fired 1st revolution, shut off and tried again and fired on second revolution. Motorcycle mechanic told me that spark plug are more important than most people realize. I will take it to work tomorrow if not raining and see what it does in the heat. that seems to be wah triggers the not firing. I will keep you all posted!

I pulled the plugs and the rear looked like it was running alittle lean, the front looked good, but the steel base (for plug socket) was rusty and discolored. may have been original plugs, I have put 8k of the 28k on the bike. I replaced with NGK (available tonight) hit the started button and fired 1st revolution, shut off and tried again and fired on second revolution. Motorcycle mechanic told me that spark plug are more important than most people realize. I will take it to work tomorrow if not raining and see what it does in the heat. that seems to be wah triggers the not firing. I will keep you all posted!

We're keeping our fingers crossed that you've found your solution!

PLUGS are very important and BUY/Replace using 6R12's ONLY... They are inexpensive and made for our harleys.

Also Don't touch the throttle when starting a FI bike like yours...

IF you twist the throttle THIS in it's self MAY cause a starting problem.

Eager,

Let us know when you get it out again to TRY to duplicate the Original Problem...

HEY, all of you out there :
IF you have a starting problem and you are not versed Repairing on your bike, thinking to Repair it Yourself...

First Thing "REPLACE" the Spark Plugs with the proper plug called out for your bike by the bikes Manufacturer.... In this case ,,, HD's 6R12's.

Also problemed and Not Found until it is usually Too Late and you are stranded along the highway are the spark-plug wires. inexpensive and another starting/runing problem can be solve by their Early replacement.

Buying them in a matching color to go with my paint on my bike is my Favorite replacement and HD's SE's are a good quality color cordinated choice

signed....BUBBIE

Back