free website stats program Driving when it is hot out | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Driving when it is hot out

I have an idea! your fuel line inside the tank. that might have a hole in it. my fuel line had a hole in it and the dealer caught it before i had any problems, so no symptoms to compare. but just thinking and reading all other post, maybe when you shut the bike off it loses "prime". the best way to check is note if this happens on a full tank or an empty tank of fuel. hope this helps

marcus

IT doesnt matter if the tank is full or low, I dont know if it has a TPI .I talked a guy today that had a similae problem and he took it to a dealer and they put it on there dyno and tuned it while on dyno and has not acted up since. He said I should try that? he said the other dealers tuned with a computer dyno and everything was way off. He goes to the same dealer i do.....Hmmm and i just had that dealer put in there hydralic cam adjusters and lifters and tappets... and any parts that goes with it...

I think I would rule out the hole in the high pressure fuel line just for the fact that you said it first happened when you fueled up.Unless the line is severed they will always run with a full tank with a perforated fuel line.I also cant believe it would be anything to do with the hydraulic cam chain tensioner.Try a couple of small things.When this happens remove the fuel cap and see if it starts,if it does the vent is plugged.If this doesnt work carefully overfill the tank and see if the fuel is leaking in front of the back tire.If it raises all the way to the top of the tank and does not come out there the internal vent line of the tank is collapsing in the extreme heat.I would also pull the crank position sensor and clean it.

I talked a guy today that had a similae problem and he took it to a dealer and they put it on there dyno and tuned it while on dyno and has not acted up since. He said I should try that?

$$$$$$$$$!!!!!

I would try EVERY suggestion given to you by our knowledgeable members so far before I would let a dealer dyno this bike.

$$$$$$$$$!!!!!

I would try EVERY suggestion given to you by our knowledgeable members so far before I would let a dealer dyno this bike.

Most of the time their Dyno JUST Vacuums out your wallet .....that ought to fix it.:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

The TFI is a fuel module that connects between your EFI and your injecctors. It is used to add a little fuel over the stock EFI calibration for if you have done any mods to your engine or exhaust system and the mixture needs to be richer.
They are known to go a little wonky after a while, and in my case it started to act up when hot.
If the bike is stock and you have owned it since new, not likely you have this installed. But if it has had any work done, chances are it may have one installed.
The usual mounting spot is under the seat in front of the battery, or under one of the side panels where the EFI module is located.

Rod

It has the screaming air cleaner on it , I was told a Stage one kit was installed when i bought it last fall?

=====================================================

I took the seat off and the side covers and I dont see any TFI module anywhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
It has the screaming air cleaner on it , I was told a Stage one kit was installed when i bought it last fall?

So it likely got the stage 1 EFI download and nothing more.
If you don't see a module anywhere that rules out that possibility I guess.
If you have spark when it won't start then it's not ignition.
I would lean toward something flakey in the EFI department, but how you will find it I am not quite sure. The dealer should be able to tell you what download you have installed BTW.

Rod

if it has a carburetor , maybe a vapor-lock. I haven't heard of fuel injected engines having a vapor-lock. vapor-lock is when fuel vaporizes in the fuel line caused by a stoppage of flow and high heat.

Some friends and I were riding through NM and AZ a few weeks ago and I witnessed a fuel injected Boss Hoss vapor lock several times. Iced down the fuel line, purged it and was back on the road. Kind of a pain to have to do, though. :small3d031:

Until you've ridden in Arizona in June or July, you haven't even seen heat yet!

Just got back from Arizona a couple of weeks ago. Dropping out of the mountains into the desert was like like running headlong into a blast furnace. Hats off to those of you who deal with that kind of heat every day. :sd

Last edited by a moderator:
Back