free website stats program Driving when it is hot out | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Driving when it is hot out

Very similar problem with My 2000 FXDS... NO Spark and checked when the thing would Not start....

Right away, I pulled a PLUG and grounder it properly, kicking it over, tried to watch for spark and NONE...

It turned out to be the Crank Sensor... Acted Just like a bad coil but the coil checked out fine.

A crank sensor will do this and take it as a WARNING and give NO future warning when it Might not EVER start.:(

signed....BUBBIE

Very similar problem with My 2000 FXDS... NO Spark and checked when the thing would Not start....

Right away, I pulled a PLUG and grounder it properly, kicking it over, tried to watch for spark and NONE...

It turned out to be the Crank Sensor... Acted Just like a bad coil but the coil checked out fine.

A crank sensor will do this and take it as a WARNING and give NO future warning when it Might not EVER start.:(

signed....BUBBIE

When I first read the original post and it sounded just like what my truck did when it turned out to be a cam sensor. The only difference is the truck would be going down the road and just quit. Let it cool and it would crank on up. I wondered if it could be something similar.

Had that problem on a car once. There was a broken wire in a coil that expanded and lost continuity when it got hot. Let it cool a bit and voila!

So i drove 20 miles tonight shut it off , 10 min later i drove 2 miles and shut it off and came out 10 min later and it would crank but not fire. Waited a few mor Min and it started and drove my buddys motorcycle shop . Shut it off waited 10 min and would crank over but not fire. Checked for spark with his timing light and had spark. So Fuel related? and many possibilites and no codes

Definitely a frustrating problem you've got. How is the fuel filter? I think it's due for replacement at 25k... Also have the plugs been replaced recently? They are recommended at 10k intervals. On my 07 Electra Glide, I noticed a definite improvement in hot restarts after replacing the plugs. A couple other questions: Have you noticed a strong fuel smell when the bike won't start? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the switch on?

No fuel smell and yes the pump runs for a few seconds. Plugs or fuel filter? i dont know i just bought the bike last fall. It has run great till now, and if fuel filter shouldnt i notice it being a little sluggish or un responsive if it was starving for fuel?

No fuel smell and yes the pump runs for a few seconds. Plugs or fuel filter? i dont know i just bought the bike last fall. It has run great till now, and if fuel filter shouldnt i notice it being a little sluggish or un responsive if it was starving for fuel?

This is a long shot, but do you have a TFI module on it?
I had similar problems with my TFI module a couple of years ago. Dobeck were great and replaced it for free. New one is fine so far.

Rod

Back