free website stats program driving light problem | Harley Davidson Forums

driving light problem

just installed the 69286-05a. lights will not come on unless the relay is jumped.
have power to the relay and to the lights but the relay will not click. the glass and bulbs are from adjure(35watt). i checked and rechecked continuity, ground, and power. i am stumped. any suggestions???????????

Last edited:
Interesting problem...from your post you said that the lights would work if you jumped what one presumes is the dry high current contacts feeding the lights. You have also checked the connector terminals that feed the coil low current path and see the voltage and return are okay as well as the relay *click * function when you apply power to the coil. You have also followed the installation instructions attached...

Springer Auxiliary Lamp Kit PDF

Some relays have a diode in the ckt (may be in the harness) which may be shorted and routing the current around the relay coil. Check the schematic/service manual and see if there is anything shunting that small current...cut insulation, shorted diode etc. preventing the coil/relay to actuate.

Attachments

• Springer-Auxiliary-Lamp-Kit_69286-05A.pdf
    470.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interesting problem...
Some relays have a diode in the ckt (may be in the harness) which may be shorted and routing the current around the relay coil. Check the schematic/service manual and see if there is anything shunting that small current...cut insulation, shorted diode etc. preventing the coil/relay to actuate.

All the relays i've seen have a schematic on the side of the unit.Funnily enough,my Daytona refused to start a couple of weeks ago.---traced it back to no fuel pump due to faulty relay.

There were 3 relays that people tried to sell me;ALL had a schematic imprinted onto the relay;two had Resistors in the circuit and one had a Diode.

It pays to know what you want.

Back