free website stats program Driver's Test on a Fat Boy | Harley Davidson Forums

Driver's Test on a Fat Boy

Kansasjase

Anybody done it? I know it's not the ideal bike for a driver's test but it's what I got now and after a long break from riding, I've decided it's time to do it legally. I took the written and now I need to take the driving part.

Any tips or tricks or advice (besides get a different bike for the test) would be appreciated!

go find a place where the course is painted on parking lot and pratice .. i took the test first time on my road king and passed

If you gotta take it on that bike then my only advice is practice, practice, practice! Find out exactly which maneuvers are required and how much space you have to perform them, mark it off somewhere with tennis balls cut in half (our local parking lots really frown on spray paint for some reason), and then, you guessed it, practice!

Last edited:
I would suggest lot's of slow speed practice. If your state is anything like mine, they will also test your ability to weave around some cones and to make a weave and stop. They like to see stability and no feet off the pegs during these manuevers.

If you have time, see if you can buy/borrow the video "Ride Like a Pro" by Jerry Paladino. Excellent video by an ex police motor officer and instructor.

- Google Search

You might also think of taking a Rider Ed course. Not only does it provide you with some great riding knowledge, but the problem of taking the riding portion is solved. You will also be a better motorcyclist, IMO, and probably get an insurance break as well.

here in San Diego ca there are a lot of people that rent small bikes just for the driving test (street legal scooters like hondas etc):20:

here in San Diego ca there are a lot of people that rent small bikes just for the driving test (street legal scooters like hondas etc):20:
Those are the same kind of people that take their drivers test in a little car like a Geo Metro, and then run your over when your on your bike cause their driving a jacked up 4-wheel drive S.U.V.!!!!!!
Learn to ride the bike your gonna be riding. If your not comfortable enough to take a test on it then you shouldn't be ridding it.:s

Another option, if you haven't done so yet would be to take a riders class. I don't know about Kansas but in Mo. if you take a riders class and pass you don't have to take the road portion of the state test. And a riders class can be beneficial to anyone that wants to ride a bike.

I took it on my fatboy. Everybody says to get a different bike but if that is the bike you are riding I thought it would be easier than learning a different bike. Rode lots of practice rides and even went to the testing facility when they were closed and practiced.

Anybody done it? I know it's not the ideal bike for a driver's test but it's what I got now and after a long break from riding, I've decided it's time to do it legally. I took the written and now I need to take the driving part.

Any tips or tricks or advice (besides get a different bike for the test) would be appreciated!

Don't sweat it. Practice slow, close figure eights and smooth stops. Ya never know just what the instructor may want you to do. I was asked if I knew where a certain place was and was told to ride to it and come back. The instructor was propped up on a post taking a smoke break when I got back. I guess he figured if I made it back alive I could ride:D

Back