free website stats program Drivers Back Rest | Harley Davidson Forums

Drivers Back Rest

walleye

Contributor
I have a 09 Ultra. I need to buy a drivers back rest. Couple of questions:

#1 Should I buy the adjustable one or is it not worth it?

#2 Do I need to install hardware on my bike or is the mounting apparatis already there?

My buddy says on his 05 Ultra he thought all he needed was the back rest.

Thanks for any help.

IMO get the adjustable one. I have one and love it. But there are times I like to sit in different positions. Enjoy.

IMO get the adjustable one. I have one and love it. But there are times I like to sit in different positions. Enjoy.

My opinion is this. I have the adjustable one and I NEVER adjust it now that I have it in the "sweet spot". And that stupid cable was a booger to install properly. Maybe I'm not a good cable guy...

I bought the riders backrest and the '09 mounting bracket w/out the cable adjustable option. One for price, but then I found out the mounting bracket I bought has 5 different front to back options, plus the backrest has 3 up and down options and 1 other forward/backward tilt adjustment screw. Once I mounted it up and rode a few times I found the sweet spot and kept it there.

I had it to far forward at first and it felt like I was sitting on top of the tank. Then I moved it back, adjusted the tilt screw and works great.

One comment. If you mount the backrest in the highest up setting, I think you will be able to see the brackets from the backrest going into the seat slot. That is way to high for me, as I use the lowest setting.

The '09 mounting bracket kit is part # 52589-09. If you go with the cable adjustable backrest, the mounting kit is a different part #.

Have fun and ride safe.

Ditto to Grillfish: My '09 EG is set up the same way, 'cept I switched the stock seat for a RK seat. Backrest is sweet, although only plan to use it when on road trips. Ride smart y'all ... :42:

I bought the non-adjustable and have found it to be great. It did take some trial and error adjusting as Grillfish mentioned, but now I never have to adjust it.

I have the "non" adjustable one. As a few have said already, it's adjustable, just not on-the-fly adjustable. Even in the lowest spot, the backrest was too high for me (I'm short, 5'8") and came WAY up my back so I took a couple inches off of it and it works perfectly for me.

I have the non adjustable and being an old guy that has to have a back rest do to the imbalance of the beer gut, it's just perfect. My wife has the adjustable backrest for as we all know women can't make up there minds anyway. :bigsmiley20: Ohhhh. . . I'm going to feel that one! :D
Ugly John

I've got the adjustable and like most everyone else, I don't adjust it much now that I have it where I want it. I still think the extra money is worth it to be able to adjust if you have to without tools.

Back