free website stats program Drive train noises??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive train noises???

I was told it was the compensator dealybob. Mine has the same issue. whenever getting off and on the throttle, normally in gears 3 -6 if you're just cruising, you can also feel something in the left hand grip. Its something traveling up the clutch cable to that grip. I was also told its normal and most of the new touring stuff does it. Guessing thats a standard answer from the dealer.

If you think it might be the SE compensator I found when I ground the grooves in the sprocket to get some oil on the boss I have less vibrations. My thinking is if the sprocket and boss are dry and have some fretting it might be sticking causing the vibrations. Hoople might back me up on this.

It may be my imagination but after cutting the grooves in my SE compensator, the drive train felt so much better when taking off from a light and when shifting (both up & down). I still have not performed an inspection on the fretting condition yet but I have finally received the new replacement bolts, so I can do it at the next oil change. Looking forward to seeing if there is a difference.

I'm going to be changing oil soon also and plan on taking the comp off and checking for fretting. I'll only have about 2200 miles on since I cut the grooves but if there's any oil in there I know the grooves are doing their job.

Back