free website stats program Drive line trouble--shuddering | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive line trouble--shuddering

My 2007 Street Glide has developed a "shudder" in it, it almost feels like the belt is jumping a couple of teeth under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. The belt has the proper tension as we have the tension tool from HD and the belt and pulleys are in good shape. I am wondering if it could be the stock compensator doing this because it started after we pumped the motor up to 103 ci and 251 cams and Screamin Eagle acr heads and TTS tuner.
Any help is appreciated.

I think that you have made a good deduction. This would be the area I would look first.

Both are good recommendations...sounds like you're over-powering the drivetrain w/added motor UG. Clutch & comp can't hold 'er back...

I have a Screamin Eagle clutch spring in it already--have never had a bike do this before and never have had a bad compensator before soo I really don't know what the symptom would be.

Is there any excessive vibration at idle? More than usual? Hope it's not the crank. The older compensator pre 07 would give you a knock like a rod going out but never heard a noise from the 96 engine compensator other than the usual knock on start. May be time to open the primary and check it out.

Do you have a lot of slack in the drive train when you roll off the throttle and back on again? It would be hard for me to imagine but the primary chain could be loose enough or damaged to the point to where it is jumping teeth on the compensator.

Back