free website stats program Drive Belt | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive Belt

jachey

2001 Ultra Classic with 16000 miles. Tried to pull out of garage after bike sat a few weeks and the drive belt broke. Bike never even rolled a inch. Bike was always serviced at the dealer from new and never abused. Why did this break and do you think I can talk Harley into fixing it for me?

Looks like you are out a couple hundred bucks or more probably for a new belt, I doubt Harley is going to pickup the tab on an 11 year old bike.

You sure you don't have my 1985 EG? I had to put a new belt on right at every 16,000 miles 4 times before I said enough. I always thought the belt was the weak point on these bikes. The only thing I could come up with that caused mine was that I rode in all weather and covered it immediately after a ride. That maybe the trapped heat and moisture just help to rot at it. And you can give up waiting for MOCO to help. At least that's the way it was back then. But anyway here I am again with a 07 EGU and I have to go down 3 miles of dirt and gravel to get to my house. Guess I'm a gluten for punishment.

2001 Ultra Classic with 16000 miles. Tried to pull out of garage after bike sat a few weeks and the drive belt broke. Bike never even rolled a inch. Bike was always serviced at the dealer from new and never abused. Why did this break and do you think I can talk Harley into fixing it for me?
You really dodged a bullet, having that happen in your driveway. On the road could have been a different story.

It is possible that you picked up a rock on your last ride. Belts don't stretch well, even enough to tolerate a rock between pulley and belt. I tend to not ride in the on dirt roads for that reason.

Good luck,
Rich P

I am definitely happy it happened at home I am just at a loss for why it happened. I wonder could it happen again in the future. Bike wasn't exposed to dirt or rocks so I'm sure it wasn't anything wedged in there. Bike didn't roll at all, belt just snapped as soon as I started to leave the clutch out.

Sometimes you can just catalog things under "stuff happens". About three weeks ago, while out for a ride in the Jersey back roads, I sheared a drive pulley. Between ordering parts, hurricane Sandy, and a bunch of other stuff life throws at you, the Ultra is still apart in the garage. Stuff happens. Aside from checking the belt on a regular basis, and doing your best not to abuse it, there isn't much more you can do. Like other posts said, if it had to happen, it happened to you in the right place.

I am definitely happy it happened at home I am just at a loss for why it happened. I wonder could it happen again in the future. Bike wasn't exposed to dirt or rocks so I'm sure it wasn't anything wedged in there. Bike didn't roll at all, belt just snapped as soon as I started to leave the clutch out.

It's 12 years old....:33:

That is the problem.. WHO knows what it has been thru...

If you get another and Handle it,,,,,,,,, Be careful IF you look at it. Twisting inside out OR flexing a belt WRONGLY will damage it...

THAT is how critical they are.. Once BENT and the TOUGH fibers pull or bend Differently the belt is ON It's way out..

I luckly had that happen on my sportster,,,,Rushing home and into the garage to beat a Monsoon, the next day rolling it out ,,,,NO BELT....

No clue was given...

TOO tight is a big problem so when you pay 250$ for a new belt and another 350$ OR MORE to get it installed....ASK,,,, Not too tight (like most want it) Tell them to use OLD SCHOOL TENSION....:lolrolling

signed....BUBBIE

Been there, done that, posted a thread...

I could use a good belt right about now...

I don't want to make light of your trouble, but, I wouldn't expect the same warranty treatment from Harley Davidson that I received. I'd like to be wrong.

Hope it all works in your favor!

Cheers!
Ferrous

READ the above LINK,,,,Lots of good answers and Information on BELTS...:s

Ferrous,

I have a new one for you that my wife found while we were up in Cottonwood Az.

A great low cost, clean , Full Day restaurant, "Peppy's".

Above the Kitchen opening where the food comes out. Is A SIGN:

? Quote

Eat well
Laugh often
Love much

KISS THE COOK:bigsmiley24:

My wife said to me,,,,,,, "Go ahead and Kiss the Cook",,,,,,, she Must'a saw HIM.....:lolrolling

Just My Luck :swoon

signed....BUBBIE

Back