free website stats program Drive belt | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive belt

Can this forum suggest a nominal life expectancy for the belt on a Dyna? I'm at 52K wondering how many more miles to expect. Would really like to not ride to failure, especially on the way to Sturgis.
WAP.gif

I don't know if it's written anywhere but I've heard 100K for some folks.

Just be sure you're giving it a thorough inspection every 5000 miles as called for in the service manual.

Had the one on my '94FLSTC for 120,000mi. Only changed it out when I put on new pulleys.

My friend had over 115,000 on his Road King belt. The only reason he changed it was his sprockets were looking bad and he changed the entire set. I have 20 years and about 70 K on my Dyna's belt. It has seen lots of hard launches and shifts. The belts I mentioned are wider than yours (if it's your avatar model), but not that much difference.

I have about 80K on mine and the belt looks good. As mentioned, periodic inspection is a good idea. I do it every 3000 miles or so. Just look for cracks or chips out of the belt. My thoughts are that these items are pretty sturdy. If you take care of them, don't do any burn outs or hard launches, they should last for a long time....

Keep an eye on the belt, and pulleys. Keep it clean and adjusted, watch for any unusual wear, rocks and drying out, other than that you can expect at least 100,000 miles

Back