Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Shop was fair

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

oFFCeNTauR

Hello All,

I joined this community to help me figure out if I have been taken for a ride or not (I believe I have).

I ride a 2004 Sportswear 1200 Roadster. I am the 2nd owner. I just brought it to my local shop to have new tires put on and I had them do a 5k mile maintenance on it (though it has 8k miles). I picked up my bike and rode it around 500 miles (mostly commuting to and from work) over the next 4-6 weeks. Then one day I was riding down the highway a my drive belt snapped. The belt not only snapped, but it split in half (perfectly in half, yes the long way). Now the belt showed no signs of ware, glossing, didn't have any damaged teeth. To be honest, it looked like a new belt. I took it back to the shop and asked them to fix it for me and let me know what happened. I had been riding the bike for about 5 years now, it seemed odd for a belt to snap right after I had tires and maintenance done. When I went to pick it up I asked what happened and they told me, "it just snapped. That happens sometimes." I complained that I just had it serviced and no one mentioned that my belt was bad, so either I had paid for a 5k mile maintenance that wasn't properly completed, or someone made a mistake when putting the belt back on. They denied that saying belts snap sometimes. The only belts I have known to snap are really old belts or perfectly good belts that are put on too tight. They took $100 off the service but would not do any more ($500 bill down to $400). I paid and left unsatisfied.

My question to all you fellow bikers is do you think the shop was fair, or was I played?

Help me out here.

It IS a Old bike... Time does wear RUBBER AND THREADS inside the belt.

IF you Felt the belt too tight after tire change???

IF they say what they did and think they are correct, they are correct.

I think they actually did you a good deal by deducting 100$ BUT 500$ IS WAY TOO MUCH FOR A SPORTSTER....

I can do/replace mine in an hour at most.

I'd be asking them WHERE they got the 500$ charge in the first place...
Should be a Book Time for that job...

Belt? 180$ + !00$ labor? You see where I'm com'n from...

Sportsters are an easy change... TC are Maybe 500$ but there is a lot of work for a Twin Cam...

THEY RIPPED YOU OFF....:newsmile055::newsmile093:

Welcome to Our forum...:D

signed....BUBBIE

I would have to believe that after all the service work and tires taking a $100.00 off the bill does not give any indication that the dealer had any empathy for you. Anything is possible as to how or why the belt broke and believing that the dealer was at fault may be a bit premature. But the discount that they gave you, you still paid more than the going rate even with the discount. If you have been satisfied with dealer in the past, it is possible that they accidently charge for a touring bike instead of a Sportster and I would have a talk with the General manager or Service manager about the price that you paid. Otherwise this is one wound that you will never get all the salt out of if you just leave it go.......:bigsmiley33:

I've heard of over tight belts can cause this.

I make sure I have the right belt deflection every 3,000 miles and if I mess with the rear wheel, I check it the first 15 miles of riding, and then 100 miles after that. Then I'm good.

I've had my rear tire off my bike at least 20 times since I've owned it. I can do it with my eyes closed -- well kind of.

I agree with the others, the amount they charged sounds a little high. Did you hear any unusual noise from the belt after the tire replacement? Did you happen to keep the old belt? if so I'd take it to a shop and have it inspected and see what their opinion is.

Sound like it was over tight belt that cause belt snapped. :swoon

My wife has Sportster and it looks so easy to replace the drive belt because I DID REPLACE my Road King drive belt! It took me all Saturday day!

Let me see.......

Axle nut/bolt draw back out, roll wheel out back, Bottom shock bolt off and turn shock out of the way, belt guard loosened, remove IF necessary, remove exhaust brkt. bolted to cover then take off the drive cover....... You are there..........

Clean area,,,,, Install Belt, careful Don't force bend it... Push wheel back and start putting together in reverse.... Spin, look, Adjust and ride.

NO 500$ rpair :newsmile055::newsmile093:

signed....BUBBIE

I called around, and according to book spec, 4 hours and at most shops hourly rate of ~$90/hour, it comes out to right around ~$550 for '04 1200R. Yikes!

One independent shop quoted 4.5 hours... but that was out of the 5 local bike shops, including the dealer.

Locally the price for a new Harley brand drive belt is $240.49 with tax included.

I'm glad I can do my own maintenance.

I called around, and according to book spec, 4 hours and at most shops hourly rate of ~$90/hour, it comes out to right around ~$550 for '04 1200R. Yikes!

One independent shop quoted 4.5 hours... but that was out of the 5 local bike shops, including the dealer.

Locally the price for a new Harley brand drive belt is $240.49 with tax included.

Wow, that must include lunch and a nap!

No wonder why guys like chain and shaft drive bikes.... That cost is actually scary.

Back