free website stats program Drive belt adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive belt adjustment

glazier

About two weeks ago, I noticed my drive belt was pretty sloppy. Bought the fancy 36mm axle wrench and pressure gauge off Amazon for a pretty good deal. Manual says to check it at the loosest point which I did. Adjusted it to 1/2" free play with 10 lbs of pressure on the belt. Rotated the back tire so the belt spun about 90*. Checked it again at this point and it's real tight. Spun it back to original location and still have 1/2" free play. Why such a big difference in free play depending on where the belt is??? I don't want it super tight, but specs call for between 3/8" - 9/16" free play at the loosest point, which is where I have it. Just can't believe there's such a big difference in the free play from point A to point B. Maybe the sprocket is not a perfect circle??? Rode 150 miles and re-checked. Same thing. 1/2" free play at the loosest. No free play at the tightest.

I don't recall myself rotating and rechecking..??
Try rotating in the other direction (clockwise?), maybe you are just putting the slack to the top..??

Don't the instructions say adjust from the belts Tightest point on the belt ?.. Goiing from tight to TOO tight to me would be Bad on the bearing. Too loose at a given spot would be better...

The belts Stretch a wee bit after used. I do find a loose and tight spot on my 09 King belt and can't figure why?

It only has 95,500 miles on it...:D Still good and no problems YET...

I'm Old School; that being Loose is Better than too tight on the belt.

signed....BUBBIE

I have done quite a bit of trial and error on belt tension I do have the HD tool for checking belt tension but it always seemed too tight and at times on the dyna belt would squeal
Now I use the same method I would on a chain just by feel on the tightest part of the belt about a 1/2" at about 5lb of pressure but it is by feel and no tools used
It works for me

Brian

Don't the instructions say adjust from the belts Tightest point on the belt ?.. Goiing from tight to TOO tight to me would be Bad on the bearing. Too loose at a given spot would be better...

The belts Stretch a wee bit after used. I do find a loose and tight spot on my 09 King belt and can't figure why?

It only has 95,500 miles on it...:D Still good and no problems YET...

I'm Old School; that being Loose is Better than too tight on the belt.

signed....BUBBIE

No, my manual says adjust from the loosest spot. I remember you always saying looser is better than too tight, so thats why I was wondering if at the tightest spot, its too tight. I don't want to put to much stress on bearings. Hey, I followed the shop manual to the letter and I guess thats where I'll leave it at for now. I had over 1" play before the adjustment. 18K miles on her and this was the first time I adjusted it. You sure don't need to turn the adjusting cam very much to make a difference in the belt deflection. Much diffferent adjusting method than my old Heritage, but a very simple adjustment with the proper wrench that fits between the mufflers and it has a 3/8" square hole in the wrench to attach a torque wrench to when tightening it back up.

I don't recall myself rotating and rechecking..??
Try rotating in the other direction (clockwise?), maybe you are just putting the slack to the top..??

Checked top and bottom. Pretty much the same. If it's tight at bottom its tight at top, and vice versa for looseness.

No, my manual says adjust from the loosest spot. I remember you always saying looser is better than too tight, so thats why I was wondering if at the tightest spot, its too tight. I don't want to put to much stress on bearings. Hey, I followed the shop manual to the letter and I guess thats where I'll leave it at for now. I had over 1" play before the adjustment. 18K miles on her and this was the first time I adjusted it. You sure don't need to turn the adjusting cam very much to make a difference in the belt deflection. Much diffferent adjusting method than my old Heritage, but a very simple adjustment with the proper wrench that fits between the mufflers and it has a 3/8" square hole in the wrench to attach a torque wrench to when tightening it back up.

:newsmile07::newsmile07::newsmile07:

I am so set in MY ways I very seldom read the manual for the Things I do My Way...

I'd split the difference and do Just a tad more freedom on the loose spot and call it good...:s

My Way is sometimes FOGGY:D

signed.... BUBBIE

I have done quite a bit of trial and error on belt tension I do have the HD tool for checking belt tension but it always seemed too tight and at times on the dyna belt would squeal
Now I use the same method I would on a chain just by feel on the tightest part of the belt about a 1/2" at about 5lb of pressure but it is by feel and no tools used
It works for me

Brian

If I left mine at 1/2" at the tightest spot, it would be over an inch at the loosest. Might jump a tooth. :(

Usually when checking the belt tension the bike is cold when things heat up the pulleys will expand making the belt tighter so perhaps it is worth checking tension when the pulleys are hot

Brian

If I left mine at 1/2" at the tightest spot, it would be over an inch at the loosest. Might jump a tooth. :(

Seems like a lot of variance to me. I would check to see if the rear sprocket is running concentric. If you don't have a indicator, hold a ruler, paint stick, or something on the swing arm near the sprocket and turn the rear wheel. Watch the gap.

Back