free website stats program Drinking and Riding,,do you? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Drinking and Riding,,do you?

These days to in order to ride safely you need to be sharp and aware of what is going on around you at all times. Riding sober helps....

40 years of riding has taught me to never let my guard down.

Don't drink & ride. Promised my wife when I bought the new bike I would stay dry. Wrecked when I was 20 from being loaded, just getting back into riding at 58, never drink & ride.

My brother was killed by a drunk driver. You are a fool to drive your cage drunk let alone your Harley. When you ride, your constently paying atteintion to your surrounding. Your also enjoying the ride. With drinking comes acting like a fool. We can all go to events and not drink. The control of your ride sober is a tough enough when some stupid cager cuts you off. Drinking makes the respone slower. I learn to respect my bike each time I ride. I respect its power and the hours I've spent cleaning it. Plus it cost me some hard earned dollars. Sounds like when we were all young and dumb, we did things we now look upon as, "how and the heck I"m I still here". I could not imagine at my age "51", getting caught drunk on my bike. First my wife would divorce my butt, second, the cost of lawyers and fines would kill ya. Plus I can't imagine the guy towing my Harley. Towing my Harley. No way. Guys, don't drink and drive. It's not worth it in any way you look at it.

This thread begs the question -

How do any of the bike nights and other motorcycle social events survive if the vast majority (according to this thread) never drink and ride at all? Do the folks who participate not belong to motorcycle forums? Are the folks who participate simply choosing not to reply to the OP because of the overwhelming resonses against their behavior?

Just wondering.....

You mean I'm the only guy who has jumped railroad tracks with someone elses wife on the back?Do you mean I'm the only guy that went thru a herd of deer at 90 and never hit one?Do you mean I;m the only guy who woke up while on my bike on the superslab?

Luckily I've been sober the last couple of bikes and that has really made riding a great pleasure.There is nothing like the sober
ride and nothing more predictable than the outcome of chasing the buzzz.

hope this helps,

I will have to say that I will have 2 - 3 and still ride. I don't make it a habbit and there is always time between the last beer and the time I get on the bike to leave. Not saying it is right and that it is ok to do but I'm guilty of doing it a few times.

I never go to bike nights for the reasons listed above. If I am out and have the urge to have a beer with a meal, I order an O'dols.
That's not to say I have "never" done it, but the odd's are against you if you do.
I go past a biker bar just down the road from my house, and it's amazing to see the same bikes parked there after returning from a couple hundred mile ride.
There are a large number of bike owners that have them just for the bar hopping, and I am related to one of those. We never ride together for that reason.
I apply the same rules in my cage. I drive for work, and company policy is 1 DUI, and loose your job.

The last time I road with some guys who were drinking I left them and headed home. The next day I found out from a friend who remained with them that one of the guys tried to avoid rear ending a car by going around the left side. He got trapped between the median to his left and the rear bumper of the car. His right leg was smashed between the engine and bumper. They couldn’t save his leg and he was a construction worker!
I just had a bad feeling something was going to go wrong.

Back