free website stats program Draining Fuel Tanks | Harley Davidson Forums

Draining Fuel Tanks

Davei91

I have a 07 street glide; I've just completed the oil temp sensor project that I found in this forum and one of the steps is to remove the fuel tank. One of my questions is has anybody devised a method to drain the tank with out spilling fuel everywhere? I’ve set up hoses, funnels, and extra fuel tanks to combat the spilling issue but when you pull the cross over a third hand is needed to attach and hose while your plugging the other end of the crossover. My thought would be to install a tee in the cross over with a single drain hose running down the frame tube with an inline fuel shut off. Open the shut off both sides drain together in one container. The reason for wanting to do this is for the deep cleaning of the bike by removing fuel tank. So what do you guys think? And any suggestions or brands of shut offs would be appreciated Thanks

One plug method Ive used for years is a golf tee.Because of its shape it will plug nearly any sized rubber line.If its the tank side simply add a dab of buttyl tape {used to seal windshields}and it works there as well.

Much easier to use a piece of clear tubing about 1/2" size and siphon it out from the top. Just don't smoke while you are drawing a suction with your mouth.:bigsmiley20:

If you have an air hose, you can start the suction with that too if you don't like the taste of gas.

They have a "cheap" bulb in the middle of a hose for self-priming for transfering fuel from a lawn mower at Kragens' or is it O'Reilly' now? Just a little...healthier and safer...the cigarette notwithstanding!!! :D

Back