draining battery

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by chris1v, May 17, 2012.

1. chris1v

chris1v Member

I need a little help from someone. My wife has a 1994 883 sportster. She has been having problems with something causing the battery to drain. the battery has been replaced and also a new voltage regulator. She can go about 90km and the battery is dead. What should i be looking for or testing. thanks chris

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Welcome to The Forum http://www.hdtalking.com/archive/t-741.html Have a look here

3. chris1v

chris1v Member

I should add that the battery does not drain if the bike is not running. Any idea's? thanks chris.

4. Webbtron

Webbtron Banned

Have any electrical components been added to the bikes system.....recently...

5. chris1v

chris1v Member

none at all. everything stock

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

First thing to do is check the voltage across the battery terminals with the bike running should be around 14 volts at higher revs volts should be up to 14.7
    any less than 13.5 and you are not charging

Brian

7. chris1v

chris1v Member

thanks i will test for these things tomorrow.

8. chris1v

chris1v Member

I did the test on everything and concluded that the stator was bad. I took everything apart and the stator was finished. The Amp rotor was also in bad shape and some of the magnets were broken. I ordered the complete charging package including a new voltage reg. Can someone tell me what type and how many ml of oil to put back in?thanks chris

9. chris1v

chris1v Member

thanks for all the help

10. chris1v

chris1v Member

thanks for all the help.