free website stats program Drain Plugs all Three (3) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Drain Plugs all Three (3)

Personally don't like the O-rings...if there is room just replace with fiber washers from your local O'Reillys/Kragen, AutoZone or PepBoys. The metric ones fit better, and yes, if you like the copper washers or nylon ones they got those too. The O-rings are too flimsy and heat gets to 'em quick.

It is not Teflon tape. It's definitely the off white plumbers thread sealer. I would never take Teflon tape and use it on any application where engine oil circulation is involved. There are many small passage ways in Harley engines and you might just accidentally get Teflon tape plugging them up. Even using the plumber thread sealant one must be careful to stay below the pan threads as I don't think someone would like to get that contaminating the oil although I'm not positive that stuff would actually hurt anything.

As a tubine engine mechanic on aircraft i use orings my aircraft engines. they run about 900c degrees So i found the correct size oring from moco and i just match with one i have in my stock. It has a better temp compostion. Anyway it cost me 8 cent compared to hd at 99cent.

RJ...did not have experience with aircraft grade o-rings...the HD ones are pretty low grade, as the ones on my bike were either brittle/cracking or "mushy and distorted." Is there a way to visually tell the difference i.e., are they Air Force blue (don't laugh, I am partly joking but also serious, because neolite/neoprene types were not much better than the ones you find in home plumbing which were also pretty poor quality as well).

I actually did a search on different quaility O-rings. Sorry, but I cannot remember the ones I actually bought. There a one heck of allot of different compositions it's almost beyond funny. Do a search and you'll find the ones that stand up to heat and oil. I bought 75 for I think $10-$15.

I am draining all the fluids today...and all three had like pipe dope on the threads? I haven't seen this on any other bike I've owned? I bought the bike used and wonder if this is standard or some mechanic's extra measure to stop leaks? If so who else does this and what do you use on those threads when re-installing the oil plugs. I am enjoying the bike maitenance, my last bike a BMW was like working on NASA high tech machinery! I was afrais to touchj anything...this harley is easy to understand and work on!

HD's engine's have thread sealer on all oil ports (done in manufacturing)...no need to worry. Just be careful w/all the responses related to using "torque specs" on your drains b/c they'll strip. Just do a search for stripped oil plug & you'll see.

I just snug em' never ratchet em' (don't torque em' either) and it appears to be alright, and use the heat resistant thread sealer as well, just a little bit mind you, a light coating as that's the way it came.

I use new Loctite thread sealant, O-rings and torque to spec everytime I drain a hole. Just a dab on the threads is all it takes for added insurance. Of course this just an added precaution and the owners preference.

Wags: which loctite thread sealant do you use? I never realized how many there were until I read HD's recommendation (565) on the oil temp sending unit instructions.

I bought a tube and use it but I have to laugh when the oil temp gauge measures to 350 degrees and the Loctite 565 is only recommended to 300 degrees.

Just curious.

Permatex makes a brush on teflon u can get it at any good auto parts store, works great

Back