free website stats program Drain Plugs all Three (3) | Harley Davidson Forums

Drain Plugs all Three (3)

hapbob

I am draining all the fluids today...and all three had like pipe dope on the threads? I haven't seen this on any other bike I've owned? I bought the bike used and wonder if this is standard or some mechanic's extra measure to stop leaks? If so who else does this and what do you use on those threads when re-installing the oil plugs. I am enjoying the bike maitenance, my last bike a BMW was like working on NASA high tech machinery! I was afrais to touchj anything...this harley is easy to understand and work on!

More than likely some thread sealant on the plugs. It really shouldn't be needed with the "O" ring setup they have on them. Remember don't over tighten them.

It's probably something like Loctite 565. Ptfe thread sealant. HD recommends it on the sending unit for the oil temp gauge.

My bike had it too that I noticed first time I changed fluids. Because I have a big container of pipe thread sealant I just put a little on the threads because it came that way. I'm sure you don't really need it but I think it kind of works like a anti-seize compound but it won't come loose so I see no harm either way. Use it or don't use it.

My bike was bought used and had stuff on the threads as well. I cleaned it off, and just went with new O rings. I always use a torque wrench to spec, as I do not have a good sense of what 14 – 21 ft lbs feels like. I’ve had no leaks or seepage! :)

I thought it was a historical HD practice; the anti-seize factor had not occurred to me. If the drain plugs removes normally, I’ll just continue with the O ring only.

Well I do also torque mine down. In fact I'm kind of a fanatic when it comes to torquing things down to proper specs.

I use new Loctite thread sealant, O-rings and torque to spec everytime I drain a hole. Just a dab on the threads is all it takes for added insurance. Of course this just an added precaution and the owners preference.

It very well might have been a couple of wraps of the white teflon tape used in plumbing applications, which works quite well without the little o rings. Snug em-don't armstrong em.

Back