free website stats program Dragging / Surging 2003 FLSTFI | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dragging / Surging 2003 FLSTFI

Randall,

I have an '03 UC that had very similar symptoms to the ones you describe. I pulled the pump et al out of the tank and voila! Holes in the plastic fuel line. I had this happen about 3 times with pin holes developing in one or the other plastic fuel line that are inside the tank. I finally replace these cheap plastic tubing lines with high pressure reinforced fuel injector hose from an auto parts store. These won't wear through!!

But while you are in there, replace the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. They are both there in the fuel pump bundle!

TQ

What some have done is to slit the old hose and use it as a jacket on the new hose held in place with nylon cable ties.

Had this happen to my 03 night train it was the fuel lines with pin holes!
I replaced the hoses with some from a parts store better quality line and alot more durable never have had the problem agian! Cheap harley hoses until you go to buy them at harley the replacement ones I got from advance auto were 1/6th the price and 10 time better quality!
Oh and if they go bad agian I think with the roll I bought I could replace them 5 times over and still have some left!

Last edited:
Thanks Guys once again. I'm planning on tearing into this on Saturday. Does anyone know offhand what the I.D. is of the fuel line. I think I would rather use aftermarket fueline if this is going to be an ongoing problem.
Randall

Thanks Guys once again. I'm planning on tearing into this on Saturday. Does anyone know offhand what the I.D. is of the fuel line. I think I would rather use aftermarket fueline if this is going to be an ongoing problem.
Randall

I can't remember if it was 1/4" or 3/16". Might be worth getting about 3' of each which will be more than enough (probably 2 feet would do it, but better a bit more than a bit less!!).

TQ

Well I opened up the tank last weekend a lo and behold there were pin holes in the line from filter to quick disconnect. I replaced fuel filterand also replaced fuel line with the re-inforced fuel injection line from auto parts store per TQuentin1's suggestion.
For those of you who may have similar problems or just replacing fuel filter for mantainence be careful cutting clamp off fuel pump because the nipple breaks easily. Don't ask how I know:small3d007:.
Thanks once again to everybody, especially Glider and TQ for your help.
Blessings to all,
Randall

P.S. the fuel line is 5/16 I.D in case anyone is interested.

Glad you got it sussed and fixed. Safe riding to you!!

I will have to commit that hose ID to memory. Probably won't work, so I think I will put a comment on that link in Self-help.

TQ

Back