free website stats program Dragging / Surging 2003 FLSTFI | Harley Davidson Forums

Dragging / Surging 2003 FLSTFI

R.Bingham

I seem to be having a problem with my scoot. It feels like it is dragging and or surging while at a constant RPM. I tried the WD-40 thing on the intake manifold but I didn't notice any change in RPM. So I don't think that there is a vacuum leak there.
When I'm cruising along say at 45mph I can feel a distinct drag / surge that almost feels like its jerking slightly. If I pull in the clutch it stops so I know that its not brake or wheel bearing related.
It has stage 1 air cleaner, screaming eagle 16ga. double barrel exhaust, stage 1 download and 34,000 miles. It has had these mods since day one and is other wise stock.
Any ideas?

It had been running fine & then started surging. No mods or changes,,, just started running bad?
How is the idle?

Yes it just started running bad. I forgot to add that yesterday I was riding it once again at a steady speed and it cut out for a moment, then went back to the same thing. There have no other mods or changes to blame.

Sounds to me like a fuel problem. Whether it is a clogged filter or injector, but it sounds like a problem in the fuel system somewhere.

That sounds about right because it doesn't sound like it is miss firing when I'm riding. However I also notice that when I come to a stop it is idling at a lower rpm than it normally does. Then it goes back up to normal idle speed.

It also is harder to start than normal. It use to start right up and now it has to crank over quite a bit before it starts.

Back