free website stats program dragging pegs/floorboards | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

dragging pegs/floorboards

Thanks for the responses.
I ride solo and alone and realize my hooilgan antics will be tamed by getting a RK if i decide to do so. That's OK too and from what im reading i feel like a Traxxion suspension upgrade may satisfy me.
SledDog; how is your suspension setup?

Something I'm noticing is the pricing of 2014 models. They are usually $1k to $2k above NADA of KBB.
After some thinking, the 2014's have the larger dia forks, if I upgraded the suspension I could look at the 09's and up (09's started the new frames I think) then I would give up the bags and hotter cams on the 014's. Cams would be an easy fix and just live with the bags. Does that make sense? Save a few bucks and build to suit.

You will give up displacement as well; 103" to 96". Plenty of take off 255 cam sets available on Ebay; very close in profile to the "hotter" '14 HO cam. Don't understand "give up the bags"; both '09 and '14 Kings have hard bags. JMHO but you won't get your money's worth out of the Traxxion suspension. Call Race Tech and get a set of springs and emulators and rebuild your forks; get rid of the diving when braking. A set of Ohlin rear shocks will solve the "vague" feeling Sled Dog makes reference to; call them up and they will put a set of shocks together for your bike and rider weight and it will come with all the bells and whistles. I would also suggest you ditch the OEM Dunlops when the time comes and replace them with something more suitable like Avons or Michelins.

The gearing on the '09s was improved from '08 which was really too tall for two up touring. A very common modification on the '09 and up touring models is dropping a tooth on the trans pulley; 32 to 31.

I don't hang off the side of my '02 FLHT like Sled Dog but do push it. I have replaced the 16" wheel with 18" wheels so I don't drag stuff near as often as I used to and I have slowed down a bit as well; getting to old to ride like I did 25 years ago.;)

Vrod is ugly,but its alot quicker than an RK.Might be a good transition down bike for You.Big jump from an FJR to a RK.
I'd rather have an intestinal virus than own a VRod.

Yeah I know it's a big step, I've never owned a cruiser per say.
I've aways had a problem with self control when on a bike. I am at the age of things breaking easier so replacing the FJR with something tamer may be for my own good.

I also test rode a Triumph Thunderbird, awesome motor and seating position but it leaked oil after the rise and it was a new bike.
This one had more ground clearance.

Once before you go to motorcycle heaven you have to experience the Harley mystic. Once you have it when someone asks what makes a Harley all that special, my usual reply is that you probably would not understand if I tried to explain it.....
Sooooo keep the Yama and get the King and putt till you hearts desire. You may even like the King in stock form then build from there.....

You will give up displacement as well; 103" to 96". Plenty of take off 255 cam sets available on Ebay; very close in profile to the "hotter" '14 HO cam. Don't understand "give up the bags"; both '09 and '14 Kings have hard bags. JMHO but you won't get your money's worth out of the Traxxion suspension. Call Race Tech and get a set of springs and emulators and rebuild your forks; get rid of the diving when braking. A set of Ohlin rear shocks will solve the "vague" feeling Sled Dog makes reference to; call them up and they will put a set of shocks together for your bike and rider weight and it will come with all the bells and whistles. I would also suggest you ditch the OEM Dunlops when the time comes and replace them with something more suitable like Avons or Michelins.

The gearing on the '09s was improved from '08 which was really too tall for two up touring. A very common modification on the '09 and up touring models is dropping a tooth on the trans pulley; 32 to 31.

I don't hang off the side of my '02 FLHT like Sled Dog but do push it. I have replaced the 16" wheel with 18" wheels so I don't drag stuff near as often as I used to and I have slowed down a bit as well; getting to old to ride like I did 25 years ago.;)
I like the latches better on the 2014 bags.
Probably no older than a 2012 but I sure like the Rushmore changes.

If You can afford a 2014,You will love the placement of the bag latches.You can get a jacket out of bag and put it on, while waiting for a traffic light to change.It has a little more performance than prior years,also.

Back