free website stats program Drag Specialties Battery?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Drag Specialties Battery??

Slo-Ryd

Contributor
I need a new battery for my Softail. My positive post has a chunk of lead missing off a corner, and I JB welded it for a quick fix, but I want to get a new one before I'm required to test out my pushing endurance which would probably occur at the most inconvenient time:D

I've been looking at different brands and noticed Yuasa YTX20H and stock are rated at 270 cca's. Drag Specialties rates theirs at 310 cca's and Big Boars are 350. The Big Boar is the priciest at about $190 and I really don't need that much cranking power since my motor is relatively stock compression wise and I'm not running any extra accessories.

Also, I think the Drag is made by Yuasa so I don't understand the different cca ratings if indeed that's true.

Thinking I may go with the Drag for a bump up in power. Anyone have any feedback on their durabilty? Found one on Ebay for $90 shipped.

Should I be looking at a specific type as well, AGM vs. Gel vs, Maint-Free Wet Plate?

Did a search for "battery" and couldn't find what I was looking for. Did read the Yuasa pdf link though.

Any input is appreciated......thanks gang:)

Drag Specialties rates theirs at 310 cca's and Big Boars are 350.

I have never tested those battery specs myself, so this is just my opinion but I don't believe those outragous specs. If the battery was a LiPo MAYBE,, but a flooded,,AGM,,or whatever lead acid,,,, it's not happening.

Let first define what CCA is suppose to mean. A current draw for 30 seconds @ O*F degrees and still maintain a post to post voltage of 7.2 volts.

Do I believe a battery that is rated @ 22 amp hour will be able to put out 350 amps for 30 seconds and still have a post voltage of 7.2 volts (which by the way is useless number) all at Zero degrees F...??.
Never happen.

350 amps is a BUNCH, and I mean a BUNCH of current. If you ask me, I think they have their own definition of what CCA is.

The ONLY way I could see it happening is if the battery plates are thinner than normal, in order to have extra room for MORE of them. That is the difference between a "starting" or "lighting" battery,, the Thickness of the plates.

The problem is that when you make the plates thinner to make more room for more plates. the battery becomes VERY VERY fragile. On these bikes with the vibration we have, that is the kiss of death for a battery. If those crazy numbers ARE TRUE, the battery will have to be very fragile. I just can't see you getting a long life out of one of those crazy rated batteries.

But all this is just my opinion.

I keep mine on a trickel charger and have never had any problems with the Harley battery.

Drag Specialties has good "LOOKING" stuff...and some of it is pretty kit...but battery, oil filter and such...they are built by an OEM vendor/contract for COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) replacement...so quality "may" be questionable...! I have used a lot of their stuff on my bike because they have difficult to find replacement items. Clear sheathed stainless steel braided brake lines, clutch cable for my XL1200R which are pretty difficult to find. They also had the replacement seat in stock and their stuff iis at a decent price.

So be selective as to what works...the H-D battery for the '04-'06 Sportster is the only one I have been able to find that fits, but it is so good, I don't bother looking for anything else. Surprisingly enough, my original battery is "STILL" workiing...but I am seeing the starter "stalls" for but a second then spins up fine...so I will probably have to replace it this summer.

Head on down to the dealer and get a O.E. battery. While there if you do not have a battery maintaner buy the leads and maintainer while there and install with new battery....

Head on down to the dealer and get a O.E. battery. While there if you do not have a battery maintaner buy the leads and maintainer while there and install with new battery....

Luckily I have a Battery Tender which I use when storing it for extended periods. The parts guy at my local dealership is always helpful and told me the OEM battery is made by Deka and if I wanted to save money, to look into one of them on the net.

Dealer wants $138 out the door, and although I'm not trying to be cheap, I'm also not independently wealthy and don't like leaving money on the table if I can find something that meets or exceeds oem specs for less. I'd rather put it in my gas tank, pocket, Mrs. Hand etc.:p

Luckily I have a Battery Tender which I use when storing it for extended periods. The parts guy at my local dealership is always helpful and told me the OEM battery is made by Deka and if I wanted to save money, to look into one of them on the net.

Dealer wants $138 out the door, and although I'm not trying to be cheap, I'm also not independently wealthy and don't like leaving money on the table if I can find something that meets or exceeds oem specs for less. I'd rather put it in my gas tank, pocket, Mrs. Hand etc.:p

I have to agree about wanting to save $$$$ but how much are you really saving by having to wait for shipment, possibilty of damage and then wait some more, what if warrty service needed on battery, and not getting the freshest battery possible. Thats where my thought originated. Have you looked at the local Battery Huts in your area or do you have a local Cycle Gear store you can go to... In the past using aftermarket batteries the seem to only last half as long.:)

I'm right there with you on trying to save $$$, but with the economy the way it is it doesn't hurt to support local business. Sealed battery is the way to go, maybe check out some of the Indi shops in your area for a good price. Ride Safe

I have to agree about wanting to save $$$$ but how much are you really saving by having to wait for shipment, possibilty of damage and then wait some more, what if warrty service needed on battery, and not getting the freshest battery possible. Thats where my thought originated. Have you looked at the local Battery Huts in your area or do you have a local Cycle Gear store you can go to... In the past using aftermarket batteries the seem to only last half as long.:)

....the only problem is I would end up waiting for shipment anyway. My local dealership is really starting to worry/annoy me. I tried there last night and they didn't have one in stock. 3-5 business days is usually their standard eta. That's why Pat recommended trying to find an alternative on the net. 2 weeks ago I went there needing a stock cv carb to manifold gasket and they didn't even have that, I mean c'mon.

They got plenty of shiny new models and enough apparel to clothe a small village though. It's like they don't want to be bothered with anything older.:swoon

A good indy is about 1/2 hr away, so I may take a ride out there. Cycle Gears about 1 hr.

Back