free website stats program Download Before or After Other Mods? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Download Before or After Other Mods?

While in most cases I support HD products and add ons this is is a case were I side with TFI.
The down load does nothing more than bring it back to EPA standards and add some almost worthless RPMS. Bike will run prefect with download.
It will not get the full advantage of the pipes and AC change.
The TFI is as good as it gets . To get more you are really going to have to empty the wallet and even then it would not get you much more.
Does the TFI make any allowance for upping the rev-limiter? Not that I think I'll ever hit it at 5K anyway, at least I hope not -- but -- ? One time I thought I was really winding-out, and looked down to see RPM of about 4,100 -- I don't see going much past that, and 95% of my shifts probably happen between 2700-3000 -- But I have "heard" that the rev-limiters are pretty brutal when you do run into them. Since I doubt I really need one anyway, it might as well be set higher if I have the option. Or, I could leave it alone!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

+++ w/Bubbie - go w/your own tuner & $ave $ome ca$h. Dobeck is one of the easiest & they've got great discounts - if you qualify. Take a look:

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

OK -- Thanks! I've been and read the directions. Couple of questions. 1) What about the rev limiter? I see pot 4 is for upper RPM -- but guess the rev limiter is a programmed electronic feature -- maybe controlled by fire rather than fuel? 2) What about altitude adjustments, etc. -- if I'm down here at 700' and then hit 10,000+ going over the Rockies or something - - - Am I going to have to get off and mess with this?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, TFI stands for Techlusion Fuel Injection, a fuel controller made by Dobeck:

It does NOT adjust your rev limiter in any way. It simply adds more fuel in various engine regimes to battle the lean condition your bike rolls off the showroom floor with.

Thanks! What about the altitude issues? If it just "piggybacks" I guess the altitude compensations still work as well as it did stock? (I've never been to a high altitude with it to know, but . . . ) Is that right? Or since this is basically used to "add fuel in a controlled manner" - might I have to lean it out manually at higher altitudes?

Does The Gen3 void your warranty?

I went to the dealer today checking on cost of gaskets, and told one of the guys i was planning on replacing my 2010 headers with a set of 2009, to get rid of the CAT, and add the Gen3. He never heard of this, but was quick to say i will most likely void my warranty?

Thanks, and I think you're right Smitty -- even at the 4,100 to 4,200 I maxed out at, I could already feel it starting to flatten out . . .

Does The Gen3 void your warranty?

I went to the dealer today checking on cost of gaskets, and told one of the guys i was planning on replacing my 2010 headers with a set of 2009, to get rid of the CAT, and add the Gen3. He never heard of this, but was quick to say i will most likely void my warranty?

I don't have any direct experience but I've read MANY times, on this forum and others, that they (the MOCO) have to prove that the component that you installed was DIRECTLY responsible for the failure that you're attempting to have repaired under warranty.

I simply don't see how a device that ADDS fuel and improves on the factory lean condition could even remotely be held responsible for any engine damage.

On the other hand, there are dealers out there who are looking for ANY excuse to void your warranty. Ridiculous but true.

I don't have any direct experience but I've read MANY times, on this forum and others, that they (the MOCO) have to prove that the component that you installed was DIRECTLY responsible for the failure that you're attempting to have repaired under warranty.

I simply don't see how a device that ADDS fuel and improves on the factory lean condition could even remotely be held responsible for any engine damage.

On the other hand, there are dealers out there who are looking for ANY excuse to void your warranty. Ridiculous but true.

Thanks Dr, imight have explained the Gen3 wrong...he never heard of it. He is a parts guy that i deal with all the time, and was kinda telling me on the down-low. He said they are starting to crack down on this stuff, and wasnt sure, just giving me a heads up...

Thank you Joy,
i was actually going to look for that, but you are way to good and fast for me to keep up with:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dr, imight have explained the Gen3 wrong...he never heard of it. He is a parts guy that i deal with all the time, and was kinda telling me on the down-low. He said they are starting to crack down on this stuff, and wasnt sure, just giving me a heads up...

Thank you Joy,
i was actually going to look for that, but you are way to good and fast for me to keep up with:D
If Glider were on here, I'd look like I was moving in slow motion. :D

Hmm -- well now I'm thinking TFI rather than dealer download -- but it based on this above it sounds like -- if you were going the dealer-download route -- you might as well pay for a higher stage download and have it done with at once, then make future changes if you want? Based on the quote above, why wouldn't everybody just buy a stage 3 download and be at liberty to make the changes they wanted up to that level?

The reason why you would not want to load an Actual Stage 3 or 4 map to a stock bike and "grow" into the map is because a "Stage" is a complete SET of maps. Often people look at "maps" as just Air/Fuel ratio and nothing more. An actual "Stage" is a SET of maps which are are made up of at least the following:

A/F ratio,,, VE front,,, VE rear,,, Spark advance Front,,, Spark advance Rear,,, Warm up enrichment,,,Idle Rpm ,,, IAC warmup steps,, Closed loop bias Front,, Closed loop bias Rear,,Accell enrichment,,, Decel Enrichment,, Tuning Setup Values,, and more with TBW bikes. That is what goes into a "Stage".

Therefore, as you can see the last thing you would want to do is load a Stage 4 to a stock bike,,, Especially a Stage that would include cams. When I said I had "beyond" stage 4 maps on my stock bike I meant that none of the 340 A/F ratio cells in my A/F map are "closed loop" cells. I would call that "beyond" a stage 4 A/F map because even a Stage 4 map has some closed loop cells....:p

Back