free website stats program Download Before or After Other Mods? | Harley Davidson Forums

Download Before or After Other Mods?

LtDan1

I'm planning to add the HD Heavy Breather and a V&H ProPipe as a start to my Stage 1 on an '08 Road Glide. Provided I'm going to do those myself, and have a dealership do the download -- Which way am I less likely to do any damage? (1) Do the mods first then nurse it to the dealership (about 15 miles) for the download, or (2) Have the dealer do the download for my planned changes, then nurse the bike home and make the changes? I understand in either case to avoid any hard ride until it's all squared up to each other.

Thanks!

Not that i a great expert on this side of things but if i was going to do things your way i would get the download first then the bike will get a richer fuel air mix and probably run better anyway then fit the other mods
However if i was doing it i would order a tfi and do all the mods at home at the same time
The more knowledgeable will I'm sure update you on their thoughts soon

Brian

You would never hurt the bike by riding it in Stock form with a download. I have a completely Stock bike loaded with "beyond" Stage 4 Maps. No problem what-so-ever..:)

If you would get a TFI, You could do Without all that $$ expense of the HD downloads..

The TFI is a Piggy-Back to the HD fuel system and it Adjusts accordingly to the "Need" that YOU program set it...

Using a screwdriver, set up the 4 pots with the Suggested Settings from Dobecks...

The TFI unit will allow you to Change ""Adjust Fuel Needed"" for the Modifications anytime.. Never a need for HD down loads.

Setting up the TFI/Gen3 is simple and easy to install.. The unit stays on the bike so any Later Modification of "add-ons" only require a simple adjustment. Saving you the need to do another HD download...

I use the TFI on My 09 FLHR.... I installed a Full stage one, along with TFI..... Right off, I noticed it Ran a lot Cooler... With the proper TFI Fuel mix along with the stage one parts. it gave me ""Power Felt in The Seat Of My Pants""....

THEN recently, I added SE255 cams... I was surprised that the TFI fuel mix needed to be lowered , only a simple screwdriver adjustment Down one mark on pot 1 did the trick.... Smooth running again with proper fuel mix and NO HD map needed.(.)

The bonus is: I got a few More miles per gal.... from 40/42 to 42/46 under Same conditions, roads and riding style..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Why do you think your bike is going to implode if you ride it under either scenario you mention? Granted, I wouldn't go around long term riding it either way but, geesh, have some faith in HD would you!

I'm also on the TFI bandwagon - easy install, easy to adjust as often as you like, and you get a discount from the forum or if you're a vet.

Hey Dan I bet you wish you never asked!..:D If your more confused now than ever, don't worry, you will be Ok.. :)

Many thanks to all responders. I had no idea what TFI stood for (still don't, but now I at least have an idea what it does / about what it costs). Went to the search feature and got long lists of TFI posts all right -- all assuming I knew what it was. I guess I've spent too much time talking to dealerships. The TFI idea (whatever it stands for) sounds great to me.

One responder mentioned $150 for a download as being half the cost of the TFI, but the one of the three local dealers I asked quoted me $250 for the stage one download. Another one quoted me $110.00 to change the engine oil and filter ONLY -- not a K service . . . just engine-oil/filter only. I sense a service lift in my near future. I changed the oil without one, but hey, nice is nice, and up about a foot woulda been nice.

but the one of the three local dealers I asked quoted me $250 for the stage one download.

Man, do I wish I had a Gig like that. Come in at 10:00am,, go to lunch from 11:00am to 1:00pm, go home at 3:00PM, and make $500 a day. :p

Get the TFI..

Why do you think your bike is going to implode if you ride it under either scenario you mention?

Well -- it seems it was some time ago, on this forum, I believe -- that someone talked about making the stage 1 changes without the download, and the possibility of burning a hole in the rear piston if it was "ridden in anger" before the download situation was addressed. I guess I have enough confidence in HD if I was going to leave it the way they built it -- but once I start messing with that, I assume the responsibility for preventing implosions is mine. At least, if I show up at the dealer "post-implosion" because I messed something up -- I think the dealer is going to tell me the responsibility was mine. So since I'm messing with things I know nearly nothing about -- I thought it safer to ask than blunder on in blindness and end up real-ly $$orrry. If I lacked all that much confidence in HD, I hope I wouldn't have bought one. It's more out of a recognition of my own ignorance that I ask . . .

You would never hurt the bike by riding it in Stock form with a download. I have a completely Stock bike loaded with "beyond" Stage 4 Maps. No problem what-so-ever..:)

Hmm -- well now I'm thinking TFI rather than dealer download -- but it based on this above it sounds like -- if you were going the dealer-download route -- you might as well pay for a higher stage download and have it done with at once, then make future changes if you want? Based on the quote above, why wouldn't everybody just buy a stage 3 download and be at liberty to make the changes they wanted up to that level?

Hey Dan I bet you wish you never asked!..:D If your more confused now than ever, don't worry, you will be Ok.. :)

No -- I'm glad I asked, and I appreciate the replies. Yeah there's a learning curve, but - - those dealer/service prices put me in the mood for learning! And TFI sounds cool because it sounds like something you can tinker with later without being a genius or having an $8K diagnostic gizmo, and I like tinkering -- (for fun, not because something is "broken.") I like tinkering on my time/dime -- not too keen on required repairs. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back