free website stats program Down-Shifing to 1st Gear | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Down-Shifing to 1st Gear

For any of you that have driven truck,downshifting an HD is no different (less the jake brake):D

May I add - I think the main thing when downshifting is not to simply pop or dump the clutch. That's when you can get a nasty surprise and/or jolt the drive train. If you do a nice, controlled clutch lever release I see no need to rev the engine, unless you simply enjoy the sound of doing that!

Down shift all the way to first while applying rear brake until nearly stopped then augment with fronts.

TQ

I always down shift through all the gears if time allows. I've never chirped a tire. I think you must be dropping it into too low a gear for your speed.
And I too don't get the six-speed neutral correlation. Heck, this is the hardest bike I've ever ridden where getting it into neutral requires real effort. The last thing I would think on my bike is that I could accidently "find" neutral when I least expect it.

ETA: Almost forgot.... are you saying that revving the bike will allow you to downshift into a lower gear? How does that work on a bike? When I used to hot rod I used to double clutch all the time to go from say, 3rd to 1st. The revving only works if you slip it into neutral to rev, hence the term "double-clutch". It will allow a much smoother transition. Am I reading this right that on a bike you can simply hold in the clutch, rev the bike, and this will work?

I shift thru the gears when stopping. Its very rare if ever do I coast with the clutch engaged.

A bike in gear gives you more options when you need them than coasting on the clutch does.

When you hold in the clutch, twist the throttle a little bit, then drop a gear lower,
the engine will be revving a little higher, and makes for a smoother transition when
you let the clutch out.

Newbie here, and I kind of want to give my 2 cents worth. I do both, down shift to slow to a stop, but never into 1st. Sometimes i will just pull in the clutch a coast to a stop using my brakes, depends on the light or stop sign. If I know it is a long light I will coast, but a stop sign or a light I think is going to change I will downshift.

On the truck relation, I would have to disagree. I use to drive truck for 10 years, owned my own, and I used the coast to a stop more times than not. I always figured less wear and tear on the tranny. It is easier and cheaper to replace brake pads than clutches and transmissions.

Now is there any more wear and tear on clutch and trans using them to slow down 800 pounds on a motorcycle compared to 80,000 pounds with a tractor trailer, probably not, but I think the principle is the same. I would like to hear, and some have weighed in on it, does it reduce the life of clutches and transmissions using them to slow you down? Don't know, like to hear more.

Thanks for your time.

. I would like to hear, and some have weighed in on it, does it reduce the life of clutches and transmissions using them to slow you down? Don't know, like to hear more.

Thanks for your time.
I would say No, if done properly it shouldn't. But an improper down shift I.E. too low a gear for your speed can be harmful and may also cause you to CRASH!!!!

Just curious. Why does it make you cringe? I have my first six speed bike and your comment makes me wonder if I am missing something.....

I am used to a Shovel w/4-speed. The six speed feels and sounds like it is going to come apart when passing through neutral. Chip

my glide has pipes and slippers does that count :D .

Why yes.... It does!

Rossi :worthy, Hayden :majesty, Stoner :small3d028: I kneel to the three that have been named MotoGP Champions! Of course, The Doctor gets special recognition!! :yahoo

I like the way James rides very much. Daring, stuff it in there and make it stick, kinda determination!

And what do they all have in common? Practice makes perfect. I know Hayden has a 600RR that he rides on the street, every once in while. The Doctor only rides off road, except for very special occasions. That's the same for Stoner and just about all the MotoGP guys...

The reason why? It's way to dangerous on the roads the general public rides.

(On the soap box) That's why, we as street riders need to practice our skills so they are available to us when they are needed the most.. When we least expect something to happen. (Off the soap box)

Back