free website stats program DOT & Helmet Laws | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

DOT & Helmet Laws

I started wearing a helmet after a low speed crack up. I wasn't hurt and the bike was only minimally so. That got me to thinking of a whole bunch of what if's. Now I choose to wear one.

Fl does not have a helmit law.
I've always ridden with a helmit.
Had one fall over on my head and was shur glad I had the helmit on.
It took a big chunk out of it, glad it was not my head.

Don't wear one unless i have to. I have been in a bad accident (work related) and broke a few bones. Truth is, if i have another bad accident, i don't want to live through it, let somebody have the organs and put the rest of me in a box. Also, i avoid states with helmet laws as if they were the plauge. Don't like to wear a helmet, and like it even less when someone says that i have to.

I wear the H-D flip up full helmet.
Somebody T-boned me at low speed and flipped me over the bike. Landed on shoulder and helmet. Thing that hurt worst was my thighs where they hit the bars, thanks to the helmet.
Thinking about getting a half helmet. Not like skull caps, but the fuller helmet like they used to wear on "CHiPS".

I'm bordered by two states with no helmet law. I ALWAYS wear mine. I have a wonderful husband and kids. I owe it to them to be safe (as safe as you can when riding)! My husband was in an accident on the highway in October. Seeing the helmet, boots, and leather jacket afterwards has made me a believer in wearing the appropriate gear. No, I don't always wear the jacket - but the helmet and boots - ALWAYS!

Looks like you will never visit the SE United States. See the map at the below linked website.

No Daytona for you. :s

50 State Helmet Law Review

Just a personal choice, don't like wearing a helmet. I imagine I could get used to it and all, but why "get used" to something if it makes you uncomfortable and you still have a choice. As far as Daytona goes, I have been to Sturgis once, and that was enough for me. Not much for crowds and such and would rather be on the road in a small group of maybe ten or so at the most. Matter of fact, I could of went to Sturgis this past August but chose to go to Phoenix instead. I used that website in your link to plan my trip so i could spend the least amount of time wearing a helmet. When i got into Phoenix it was 113 F. Kind of like sticking your head into a blast furnace. Prefer that to the -10 F it is right now in WI.

Last edited:
after getting my full license I stopped wearing a helmet. now after 5 years and being the safety officer for my local hog chapter the last 3 years and being a new grandpa for the first time, I found one that was comfy and wore it since I bought it. Started with the full face, got the 3/4 helmet and now ride with the scorpion 100 half helmet.

Back in the late 70's when I was stationed in Phoenix and young I rode with and without a helmet, but in the summer it was so hot it actually felt better with the helmet on. When it is over 100 degrees it made me feel like I had my head stuck in an aircraft exhaust nozzle.

f.y.i. even in california lane splitting is illeagle. lane sharing is legal. teh fine point is that a motorcycle can share a lane with anouther vehicle and even pass that vehicle if it stays in teh lane. crossing back and forth across the lane markers is splitting.
Have always worn a helmet, will always wear one. summer i use the half helmet until too hot then use the modular. winter i use the modular alone. found that during 98 degree plus weather that the heat just made my face hotter and the full face actually kept me cooler

Ever since my early days on a bike, I always used a full-face. Learned on a high-school buddys Suzuki 380, and bought my 1st bike the summer after getting out of high-school, a KZ-1000. Figured a helmet would be a good thing and it was a good thing on one occassion. Always rode with a full-face until I got this Harley, and for some reason I gravitated to a half-helmet. I know that half-helmet is most likely not going to do me a bit of good in event something happens, but we makes our choices and we live with them. Every now and then I'll ride without a helmet, but ride with a lid probably 99% of the time just out of habit and that's where my comfort zone is.

Back