free website stats program DOT & Helmet Laws | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

DOT & Helmet Laws

I always were a helmet. So does my wife. Full face as well.

100% against seatbelt, helmet, cell phone, speed cameras or any other similar law (TAX). It is not about safety.
Arguments are made about medical costs or other things, but where do you draw the line? I could argue with a higher chance of death (no helmet) medical bills across the population could potentially decrease since most medical expense comes from long term disability and care.

While we observe cell phone use and driving makes traveling potentially more risky, the NTSA data does not show a explosion in accidents or deaths when cell phone use went exponential a decade and a half ago. Statistically not discernable from eating or swatting your kids in the back seat or being elderly with poor eyesight and slower reaction times. Again, I am not saying as motorcyclists we don't see drivers acting dangerous because they are not paying attention. But the numbers aren't there with regard to accidents and fatalities with any of these laws. In fact there is mixed data that helmets can cause neck/spinal injuries in certain situations due to the added mass above your neck. This is much the same way that sometimes seatbeats can cause injuries in a wreck that you might not otherwise have had. Again, in a wreck, all bets are off and I will side with a seatbelt or a helmet, but I do find the data interesting. (Much like the thought that most motorcycle fatalities come from another vehicle (coming head on to you) making a left turn, and not seeing you and T-boneing you. While this does happen often, it is classified as a crash involving another vehicle. The highest percentage of fatal wrecks involve typically the rider (alone) that takes a turn too fast and looses control. A guardrail or a tree is unforgiving.)

Follow the money: young males have higher insurance rates because across the spectrum of cell phones, drinking and driving, speed, inexperinece...etc...that is where the odds are.

Sorry for my soapbox rant.....I live in Maryland and the nanny state drives me insane....especially after the govenor's "state of the state" tale yesterday.

I occasionally go without where it’s legal. I agree it’s safer wearing one and it would be even safer not riding but that’s not going to happen. If I’m in the middle of nowhere and its nice out I might ride without for a while. We had some older half helmets that made our scalps itch but I bought some new ones and they feel a lot better. We took 2 separate month long trips out West and went without almost all of the time except for CA where it’s required. But you are allowed to split the lanes ? We went on some group rides where appropriate equipment was required but they rode well over the speed limit. To each their own.

Wow! All eloquent thoughts here! It goes to show how the majority of bikers on this planet do "think" things through regarding the choices we make that matter.

This is powerful stuff guys and what I need to hear!:newsmile072:

what a good and funny topic.. i am a transplanted NY'er , to here in fla, and i wear a brain bucket, i only took it off once on a ride thru, oklahoma last year duriing a HEAT WAVE...at least 105 deg. and i almost got heat stroke...after stopping and unscrambling my brains i put on my skid lid and was much cooler, believe it or not.
However there was a time when i went to the supermarket in n.y. to get some milk, when i came out someone had stolen my helmet...so i says to my self.."self" lets take the backroads home as to avoid the police, (no helmet)
well about 5 blocks from my home and what happens,,,,i stop for a stop sign and there is the local POLICEMAN.......i screamed to myself...ARRRRRGGGGGGG!!
(EDIT) what luck....and to top it off,,,he was on ..of all things a BICYCLE!!!!
(EDIT) how embarrasing,,,jeez...talk about luck...after telling him about the theft of my lid, he acquiesed and told me to go "STRAIGHT HOME" and take the back streets...sorta of funny story about my helmet law state..:newsmile08:

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Living in Wisconsin, it's my choice. If I'm going to work I usually take lonely back roads, so no helmet. I always wear one (usually 1/2 helmet) if I'm taking the highway or at night. Full face when the temp. is below 50. My biggest concern when riding are deer. They are everywhere. Though it isn't a reason to forego a helmet and drive like a fool, the ABS on my SG is a Godsend. Saved me from a few head on collisions with deer. JMO.

Hey Rydahog! Great stories here. Watch out for language on this site. :newsmile055:There's a no swear tolerance in our posts. Yikes! Such great stuff to share. I'd hate to hear that you've been put on a "vacation" from posting for a while........:newsmile070:

Helmets are required in TN, and that is what I am used to. I tried riding without one at Sturgis a couple of years ago, just did not feel comfortable. Put it back on at the next stop and have never ridden without it since. I use a 1/2 helmet most of the time, have a 3/4 w/faceshield for cold or rainy weather.

Once we got home from our trip I was reminded of how many of our friends are being pulled over in LA lately for NOT wearing DOT helmets. $250 a "pop"! The city's hard up for cash so they're soakin' us for every penny. Politics!

My husband, Craig Lee just reminded me that the price was $175 for the ticket regarding a non-DOT helmet. oops! I think I was referring to a couple who both received tickets for their non-DOT's. She was on the back so I guess he gave them a "bargain" price for $250 LOL, but for one rider it's usually $175. It's still a pretty penny...... The guys who don't wear DOT helmets that I talk to don't like the way the DOT helmets look because they tend to stand out farther on your head etc.... I like my carbon fiber DOT helmet. It's lighter than most helmets and seems to fit more tightly to my head than most. Oh well.... Like the good Lord says.... "Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.Ecclesiastes 1:2 "

Last edited:
You have to wear on by law in the state I live in. I have a DOT half and a non DOT half. depending on where I'm riding depends on which one I wear. If I'm in a state were you do not have to wear one I will not wear it unless I'm on the highway. I love to be able to ride without one when I want to. I think it should be up to the rider if they want to wear or not to wear. However I do agree it is safer with one then without.

Back