free website stats program DOT 4 brake fluid-got a notice from HD | Harley Davidson Forums

DOT 4 brake fluid-got a notice from HD

jamesearl

They say gotta change brake fluid every 2 years.Stating DOT 4 ages and absorbs water,over time.Just wondering if this is indeed true.Seems they sometimes dream up unnecessary parameters,but of course I want to be safe.

I'm not sure about every 2 years but yes it's recommended to change periodically because it does break down and it will absorb moisture.

Easy to replace Yourself.Just suck out the old from reservoir.Fill with new and bleed till You see clean fluid.More difficult with ABS but,You can replace what is in reservoir easily.

Dot 4 brake fluid has always suffered from being hygroscopic and moisture can be absorbed into the fluid and the moisture can on heavy breaking turn to steam due to the heat generated by the brakes, steam is not good in the brake pipes
Replacing the DOT 4 brake fluid every 2 years is recommended by most vehicle manufacturers

Brian

Easy to replace Yourself.Just suck out the old from reservoir.Fill with new and bleed till You see clean fluid.More difficult with ABS but,You can replace what is in reservoir easily.

If you have a vacuum bleeder it makes the job very easy and no getting fluid everywhere. $19 at most parts houses.

If you have a vacuum bleeder it makes the job very easy and no getting fluid everywhere. $19 at most parts houses.
As stated above, it may not be that simple with the ABS system....

Get some speed bleeder nipples and do it every year. After that, the $10 worth of fluid every year is nothing.

I agree with Dan. Being able to STOP your bike is one of those critical systems. I err on the side of being overly cautious and change my brake fluid every year. I don't use the speed bleeder nipples, but easy to do with a MityVac. Check this out for a description. You can find them online at discounted prices:

http://mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp

Cheers,
TQ

As stated above, it may not be that simple with the ABS system....

What makes the ABS more difficult to bleed. I bleed my SUV and truck whenever I replace the pads, no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back