free website stats program Dormant Sportster...Drying out gaskets? | Harley Davidson Forums

Dormant Sportster...Drying out gaskets?

Randall K. Wilson

I'm sorry I put this post under the Sportster Catagory, but should have put it here instead.

My brother just bought a 1997 883 Sportster. It needs a little TLC, but it is in basically pretty good shape. This cycle has 19k miles on it. It ran briefly and gas was coming out of trhe carb somewhere after he trailered it home and tried it out.

Right off the bat the carb is getting rebuilt and the gas tank cleaned. The gas tank checked out OK.

Now this cycle before he bought it had been sitting in a garage for 3 years and has not been started. Due to the dormancy of the engine when the carb is put on and he starts riding it, what are the chances that the any of the gaskets on the engine will leak? He is worried about them being dried out and is afraid he might have seepage or worse?

Any one on the forum ever experienced a scenario as this?

Since he only gave $2,500.00 for it he feels like he can afford to put some money into it. Any information will be appreciated.

My fxr sat 10 years and I have had really no gasket leaks, the biggest problem I had was sumping which a little sea foam in the oil fixed rather quickley.

when i bought my 97 sporty it had 10k miles and had been sitting unused for 8 years. all the seals were fine. the only prob i had was the brake fluid had crytalized a little and had to rebuild the calipers. other than that and checking on the tires was good to go.

I would add a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil , run the bike till it is hot and drain & change the oil. Might not hurt to pull the plugs say 24 hours before and put a couple ounces in each jug. Just crank it over before reinstalling the plugs then start it. If stuck ring are an issue that will take care of them. MMO is great stuff all the old wrench benders I know have used the stuff forever.

Re: Dormant Sportster...Drying out gaskets? (update)

My brother got his 97 sportster home and is riding it. Pior: Gas tank cleaned out. The carb had to be rebuilt. Brakes were checked out good. Fluids changed. New battery. Tires fair for now....

I took it out myself and it runs like a top!

I think for $2,500.00 he now has a nice 2nd Harley, his other cycle being a 2003 Ultra Classic. This sportster came with many accessories.

I appreciate the above tips.

Back